• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would this be better than BH-5?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MitchV

Here's some nice looking Kingston memory for $120 per 512MB DIMM. The timings are pretty good, and if you are overclocking an AMD processor, wouldn't this give you about the same kind of performance you might hope to get out of PC3500 BH-5 memory? If you try to buy BH-5 memory off of eBay, it'll set you back at least $350 for 2X512MB

http://srch.outpost.com/product/3747836

3-4-4-8-1 (CAS Latency 3)

I dont understand how this memory gives you the same performance, especially because of the latency... Honestly, BH-5 is the best of the best and could smoke this stuff...And the thing with BH-5 is that it is consistent and nearly all will perform amazingly, this stuff I'm not certain about. It really seems like it's more suitable to a P4 system.

I would assume that you should be able to at least run it at those timings with your FSB at 225Mhz. With a little luck, you could get the timings a little tighter and it shouldn't be pushing the memory too hard.

I know some people can run their systems at higher speeds, but that seems to be a pretty good deal to be able to expect to get that kind of performance for only $240 for a GB of RAM (I'd be more concerned about the CPU).... versus $350 for PC3500 BH-5 and not knowing whether or not you could reach those speeds.

I dunno... that's why I ask.

MitchV said:
I would assume that you should be able to at least run it at those timings with your FSB at 225Mhz. With a little luck, you could get the timings a little tighter and it shouldn't be pushing the memory too hard.

I know some people can run their systems at higher speeds, but that seems to be a pretty good deal to be able to expect to get that kind of performance for only $240 for a GB of RAM (I'd be more concerned about the CPU).... versus $350 for PC3500 BH-5 and not knowing whether or not you could reach those speeds.

I dunno... that's why I ask.

I think you forget what bh5's timing is, it can run at 2-2-2-5 at stock fsb, there is simply no way that ram can run at that timing.

It's not better than BH-5, in most ways. However, it's a lot CHEAPER than BH-5, and in terms of bang for the buck, this actually looks like a pretty good option.

BH-5 is good. Not god.

It is a good option to BH-5 but you can find BH-6 on sites like ebay most of the time for the same price which can run much tighter timings than the posted ram. Maybe you should consider some of it, etc. Anyways, it really depends on what you're going for and the amount you're willing to pay.

johan851: Hey, BH-5 is my god...in fact, I started the Holy Order of the BH-5 last week. Our ultimate goal is to conquer the world with outrageous prices and eat the voltage of the world up mwahaha :eek:

You will not get tight timings out of that ram. It's the nature of the beast. The pair I had would go up to about 260MHz or so. Definitely for a P4 system though.

Back