• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about the L12 mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZTaylor

Registered
I just ordered the amd barton mobile 2600 and was wanting to do the L12 mod before I installed it.
Should I install the cpu and see how it works, or just go ahead and do the L12 mod to start with?

Also, when I look at how to do it. The picture has 2 green dots. So do I connect the 2 green dots with the conductive ink?
Or, do I connect one of the green pins to the pin to its left?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=15300

Thanks.

Last edited:
The L12 mod makes your CPU default to 166mhz or 200mhz FSB, depending on how you implement it. It tends to help FSB overclocking on the NF7-S for some strange reason.

Your link is dead, but the easiest wasy to do it is by putting a little U-shaped wire in the processor socket holes. Check the L12 mod sticky for more info.

Some info about L12 mod, how to do wire trick for L12 mod, and L12 mod for NF7-S rev 2.0.

L12 may help or may not help for higher FSB, ....

hitechjb1 said:
If aiming for only high overclocking of an (multiplier) unlocked CPU, FSB and potential L12 mod would NOT help CPU overclocking. FSB and CPU frequency are independent parameters (at leat to first degree).

If you have an unlocked XP CPU such as a mobile Barton or an early Tbred B/Barton (older than week 0338 or so), then higher FSB and higher CPU frequency can be achieved at the same time by appropiately setting the CPU multiplier

CPU_frequency = CPU_multiplier x FSB

So higher FSB is better provided the motherboard, in particular the North Bridge and its memory controller, and the memory allow such FSB overclocking. One may need to improve chipset cooling (SB, and NB in particular) and give enough Vdimm to memory (not uncommon to use 2.9-3.0 V for BH5, CH5 memory chips) to achieve that.

For nforce2 rev 2.0 (aka 400 Ultra) motherboards, such as NF7-S rev 2.0, there is a good chance to overclock the FSB to 200 - 230 MHz without extensive mod (chipset cooling and Vdimm).

There are certain NF7-S rev 2.0 (not every board) whose FSB overclocking can be greatly facilitated by the so called "L12 mod" which alters the CPU default FSB_sense[0] and FSB_sense[1] signals from 133 MHz to either 166 MHz or 200 MHz.

I personally tried on two NF7-S rev 2.0, one board improved by 10-15+ MHz on FSB (from 215 to 225-230 MHz), and one board did not at all (0 MHz, but that board does 227 MHz with stock everything).
Ref:
FSB_Sense mod to set Tbred B default FSB from 133 to 166 (page 12)
FSB_Sense mod to set Tbred B default FSB from 133 to 200 (page 12)

NF7-S rev 2.0 FSB_Sense 166 and 200 mod (from 133) test results (page 12)
NF7-S rev 2.0 FSB_Sense 166 and 200 mod (from 133) test results (part 2) (page 12)
Summary on overclocking the NF7-S rev 2.0 (with Tbred B 1700+ DLT3C and ...) (page 15)

I'm about to do the L12 mod via the the socket wire too. I'm stuck at 223fsb right now and hope to get to at least 235fsb.

It's very easy to do. G/L.

I did the L12 wire mod a few days ago...was stuck at 217 on my NF7-S rev 2.0...Not anymore...

The memory is not 100% stable at 250+...PC3200 Kingston Value Ram...but the L12 wire trick did work...

250.JPG

260.JPG

Nice, but how come you run at such low multiplier? I am sure your cpu can handle more than that.

Was going for the high FSB to see if the L12 worked...since I am running value ram...it doesn't stay stable for long at those FSB settings...

Plus need to get a new PSU...anything past 2.6Ghz and my +12 drops to below 11.6v's and the system is unstable...

Back