• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2800+ athalon xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whyte boi

I just purchased a athalon xp 2800 and i have a few dumb questions. I know nothing about overclockin so have mercy :) .
Under my comp specs in windows xp, it shows the cpu running at 2.09 mhz, is that normal? Also, in bios there is a option for themal throttling, what is that, its set at 50% right now. Thanks!

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

Ok 1st off

whyte boi said:
Under my comp specs in windows xp, it shows the cpu running at 2.09 mhz, is that normal?

Yes that is normal windows for some reason rounds up or down the speed of the cpu. I:m not sure what speed the 2800Mhz runs at

whyte boi said:
Also, in bios there is a option for themal throttling, what is that, its set at 50% right now. Thanks! [/B]

Thermal throttling reduces the speed of the processor if it gets too hot. So If you have good cooling I would not use this option.

whyte boi said:
Also, in bios there is a option for themal throttling, what is
that, its set at 50% right now. Thanks!

When your CPU is doing nothing it kicks in.
So it lowers you idle temps, nothing more.
It can cause system to lose stability when overclocking, so keep that in mind when you turn the setting on

Its not like Intel CPU's (P4) that stop the CPU from overheating

Yes, that is the stock speed for a 2800.

Your motherboard should have sensors which can be read by speedfan or motherboard monitor so you can get an idea of how hot your system is running. You probably wont need thermal throttling, so turn it off if your temperatures are good.

Back