• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the difference between Dram and Chipset Voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jackson vile

Registered
I have a AMD set up with a DFI Ultra 2 and it has Dramvoltage which I assumed was for the ram and the chipset voltage which I assumed was for the northbridge. What voltage is optimal for the chipset?

if u are running a hi fsb then, u want to bump it up(chipset) . i dont have nb adjustments on my ic7, it runs default 1.49. so i modded it and run it around 1.7-1.75. if u have vagp adj. depending on the mb, they sometimes feed the chipset too.

So when would a person want to increase the chipset voltage to gain more stability? When raising the Vdimm and Vcore is no longer yielding results?

Will the stock NB cooler on, say, an NF7-S be adequate enough to cool the chip with the higher voltage?

when u want to run hi fsb, the nb needs extra voltage just like the memory and cpu. as for a nb cooler, u probably would be better off with a a good aftermaket cooler.

Can you give me a link that would explain some of the parameters for increasing chipset voltage (the generally-accepted highs and lows, when to increase, what to watch for temperature and failure wise, etc)?

I use the rule if your heat sink is too hot to touch than it is too hot and you need to drop the voltage. Just start from the lowest setting and keep upping it up. If your PC does not like it it will just keep restarting or you will have to reset bios which is no big deal.

Back