• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My friend is saying Bartons are now being called Thortons. Is he right?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yamiyanazz

I'm kinda not up to date with name-calling, but I'd like to know. More specifically, the 2500+ (if that matters)

wrong!

Throton is just a barton core with less cache. THis is all for market sale tactics. Altho its also possible that some Barton core has faulty cache so AMD disable it to sell for a cheaper price.

Thorton will be from 1700+ to 2200+ model due to the cache constraints.

Barton will be still in the market and start off (i think) from 2400+ to higher

Dont be confused,..

Throton is just a barton core with less cache. THis is all for market sale tactics. Altho its also possible that some Barton core has faulty cache so AMD disable it to sell for a cheaper price.

Wrong again....

Thortons are essentially Tbreds.... they are bartons with a disabled cache, the cahce itself isnt gone...its just disabled

That is their lot in life

Its used by AMD to cut costs of production down, by making 1 XP core

Has anyone reached a judgement about the difference between "Barton grade" cores, and "Thoroughbred grade" ones? Is the core size the only difference?

Graphic67 said:

[*]The Barton is ALMOST a T-bred B with more cache. Design refinements were made, but no extra layers of silicone were added.

[*]Many of the modules (I don't recall the exact list, but things like the in the FP Scheduler, Integer Unit, Instruction Control Unit) from the Barton design are to appear in the Thorton, but not the complete L2 cache.

[*]This would make the Thorton out to be a T-bred B built with Barton grade processor modules and the original T-bred size L2 cache. So the logic portion of the chip will be mostly barton in heritage while the cache will follow from the T-bred B design. The thorton would therefore be very similar in size to the T-bred B but have some of the improved circuitry of a barton as well.

[*]To make a crippled Barton (one with some cache disabled) would be a waste of production wafer space, reduce output from the wafer, and make a Thorton just as expensive to produce as a full Barton. The microprocessor industry is all about improving yield percentages and wafer efficiency.

[*]Cache memory on the die is probably the least likely portion to fail in the production process, so the likelyhood of flawed cache chips is very small...too small to market the mistakes as another core.

MameXP said:

Thorton will be from 1700+ to 2200+ model due to the cache constraints.

Barton will be still in the market and start off (i think) from 2400+ to higher

Dont be confused,..

The 2400+ are thorton also the barton start off 2500+, but if you're talking about the mobile the bartons start with the 2400+

Back