• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD64 3000+ @2.6 Even 2.8 ??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lizardmegreen

Hello everyone,
I am new to these forums and just wanted to say hey.
I also wanted to talk about overclocking the adm64 3000+
As I just got mine about a month ago and read tons of forums and threads on this very subject.
Lots and lots of people are talking about not being able to get to or even get past the 2.4 gig mark because of there not being a agp/pci lock.
Well Hmmm how can this be as I have gotten to 2.6 (260x10 =2600 Mhz) and even 2.8 (280x10 2800Mhz) on stock air with out this agp/pci lock.
I found that the only trick to this being was to raise the Vcore,Vdimm,And memory voltage levels.
I also droped the HT from 800 to 600 and 400 and I am now rock stable at 2.6 but could easly do 2.8 with a better cooler.
Now for my questions.
first since I now dropped my HT is this still considered a OC and is this not just making it faster but is it keeping the same power/strenth or am I making things worse?
Say like am I making it = to a overclocked 32bit 2500xp?
Next since I have gotten this far with my Oc if I upgade to a Amd64 3700+ Socket 754 @ 2.4 will I be able to get to around 3.0 or more?
I would think I would hit that 3.0 or more mark as this would be the same oc amount for each chip but with the 3700+ I am starting off with 2.4 instead of with the 3000+ starting off with 2.0 .
Oh and one last thing since the 3700+ cach is (1024) 512 more then the 3000+ will this stop me from ocing this high?
Hmmm well I am curious to hear what everyone else thinks.
Thanks for taking your time to read this....

:D :D

Welcome to the forums

Nice OC.
Have you run Prime95 to check the stability of the CPU at 2.6 GHz or even 2.8 GHz? Can it run Prime95 at 2.6 or 2.8 GHz for hours without errors.

2.8GHz, whoa, whoa, whoa! Now that's what I'd call hardcore! That's way, way above average. No normal A64 overclocks like that for sure.

The drop in perfomance between HT speeds is not that significant. Try and keep it close to 800MHz, though. It shouldn't be a problem at all. i.e. 3x260 instead of 4x200.

Next since I have gotten this far with my Oc if I upgade to a Amd64 3700+ Socket 754 @ 2.4 will I be able to get to around 3.0 or more?
Hard to say. Anything above 2.4GHz is rare, even FX53's usually only make it to 2.6GHz or so. It depends on when the 3700+'s actually come out. We may have some "super-stepping" overclockers by then.

What sort of system configuration do you have? You've probably got the fastest on the planet on air, by far. :drool:

AMD64 3000+ @2.6 (260x10) HT400 temps 38c-42c on full
Asus K8V-D Mobo
Apacer 2x256 Pc3200
Scorpion-Z cooler gaming case W/420 Wtt PSU
6 case fans (4 80's) (2 92's) adding 4 more LOL
Maxtor 8MB 160GB HDD
Lite-On x4 DVD-/+R reflashed to x8 speed
Asylum GeForce-Fx 5600 256MB

Had it up to 2.8 with HT@200 but started getting Grafx and sound glitchs + temps were around 48 to 55c yuck!!

@2.6

Prime 95 stable for the hole 2 hours I ran it.

Tmpegnce stable Converted Matrix Revolutions at
DVD 720x480 Mpeg2 1 pass 4000Bitrate sound 4800Htz 24bit
7mins.

Dolphin Teaser stable running mariosunshine @19-21FPS
for 1 hour

thats about all I can think of for now.

Holy crap, get some phase change cooling on that sucker, and you can probably hit 3gz!! That would probably be the fastest cpu to date anywhere.

It looks like you have a very OC'able CPU.

Are you using stock HS? I think Thermalright has a high end copper HS for A64, model 948U. You may want to check and consider using it. It should help to lower the 48 - 55 C to get more stability and hopefully you would be able to run 2.8 GHz on air stable.

Yeah I am only running the original Heatsink and cooler fan.
I dont think phase change cooling would work for me as this is my 24/7 pc for movie ripping/copies, gaming,and web surfing.
But I am interested in getting better air cooling.
Anyone here have a amd64 extreme cooler like say Zalmen or thermaltake or even a valcano?
I would like some idea's and i don't care about noisieness.
I am really dieing to brake through to a stable 2.8 .
But at this point I am not sure thats going to happen as I think thats its my mobo holding me back.
I think my mobo doesn't like 280x10 fsb as every now and then when we get colder wheather I try to see if I can run stable @2.8 and sometimes I get a error mesage saying something about (out of range) wonder what this means?
Plus my onboard lan port stopped working wierd!!
This only seems to happen at 280x10 with HT400
But If I drop HT to 200 I only get skippy,crackle,flashy sound and video.
defenitly not prime stable but atleast I can boot into windows @2.8 with all my volts maxed out LOL.
It freezes after about 4 or 5 mins then I have to do a hard powerdown and reboot.

Last edited:
When you get a chance, boot up to 2.8 GHz, get a MHz screen shot and also a Sandra CPU benchmark screen shot. I think many of us would like to see what number it is for the Sandra CPU Dhrystone and Whetstone benchmark numbers.

I can't start any programs @2.8 it just freezes.
I thought I made that clear in my previous post.
all I can do is boot into windows for about 4mins and thin again it freezes but i can do this for you when running @2.6 no prob.
Now don't flame me but how do you take a screen shot using those programs?
Soon as I get better cooling and is a bit more stable I will try to get you a screeny when running at 2.8 ;)

Lizardmegreen said:
I can't start any programs @2.8 it just freezes.
I thought I made that clear in my previous post.
all I can do is boot into windows for about 4mins and thin again it freezes but i can do this for you when running @2.6 no prob.
Now don't flame me but how do you take a screen shot using those programs?
Soon as I get better cooling and is a bit more stable I will try to get you a screeny when running at 2.8 ;)

If you are running windows (XP), start up a WCPUID or CPU-Z or GCPUID, click that window, alt-print to save that window image into the clip board. Then cut and paste the clip board into a paint program, and save that image as a JPG file (JPEG format). Then you can post the JPG file. You can also save Sandra benchmark windows and even the entire window screen as an image file, .... Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Holy Cow Man! thats a fast little bugger! Hey, can u do me a favor, I'm curious to know if this is a CG stepping chip, a screen shot @ 2.6Ghz could tell us this or if you dont mind taking off the heatsink and reading the chip if the first line of the numberrs/letters ends in "AR" then it's a CG stepping!, if it's "AP", I cant believe it's running 2.6Ghz stable unless it's cooled by a phase-changing system

Here's a step-by-step way to take a screen-shot:

download and run CPU-Z
w/ the program in focus, pres Alt+Prt Scr
open MS Paint and press Ctrl+V to past the picture
save the immage as a JPEG named 2.6Ghz A64 or something like that

Btw, what voltage are you running through everything? A lot of A64's have died because their memory controller couldnt take more than stock voltage.

I whould have thaught dropping the HT from 800 to 400 whould be dissabling 2 of the pipes therefore halfing your preformance. Am i wrong?

mercuryscythe said:
I whould have thaught dropping the HT from 800 to 400 whould be dissabling 2 of the pipes therefore halfing your preformance. Am i wrong?

No, it doesn't quite work that way. You don't lose exactly half the performance. There is a slight decrease.

I'm having a hard time believing that you have a chip that runs 2.6ghz on a stock cooler, especially at the temps you listed. I don't mean to be skeptical, but even a CG revision chip would need 1.7v to hit that kind of speed, and then you would need at least an SLK948U to cool it well.

Ok I tried to post but the picture was to big so i am trying to get my wife to do this for me cuase I don't know how to use paintshop LOL.
As for my volts they are all maxed out hope this doesn't kill my chip or mobo.
Here is the picture.

Attachments

• speed tester.jpg
    speed tester.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 287
Back