• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus A7N8XE doesn't do high fsb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

segask

Registered
I've seen a lot of people comment that in general, most a7n8x mobo's can't do high fsb's. Do you mean that most a7n8x's can't get into the 230's to 250's? or do you mean most of them crap out below 200? I'll be getting a mobile 2500 soon and am trying to decide between Abit Nf7s, Asus a7n8xe, and DFI Lanparty B or Ultra Infinity.

The rig I am going to put together will be built for quietness/low fan speed when using it for websurfing and home theater and other non intensive stuff, and for modest overclocking/fans running at full speed when gaming. But quiet will be more important than overclocking, so I am not demanding that it do a 250 fsb. I would be perfectly happy with a 200 fsb.

Do the a7n8x's usually fall short of a 200 fsb? One thing I like about a7n8x deluxe is the dolby digital. I don't think the Abit or DFI has it?

But if a7n8x's usually fall way short of 200, then I guess I would get an Abit or DFI.

asus rev 2 borad do 200 fsb without probleme but many people have probleme with it to get high fsb such 220 and more
i have 3 asus a7n8x how can do 220 without probleme i am sure that i can do 240+ with this borad(but need better cooling) see my sig i am runnig on dual channel 2 *256 at 230 24/24
dfi like abit is one of the best overclocker alot of people can get 250+with beta version
abit do easly 220 this very stable board
i preffere abit ---- asus ---- dfi
dfi has alot of probleme they should fix them fist
if u are looking for dfi u must wait sometime if there is a fix so get it
good luck with your choice:)

thanks for the reply:)

I will plug in a mobile barton 2500 or 2600. They run at default voltage of 1.45 instead of 1.65. Do you know if the a7n8x runs the mobile bartons at 1.45v? I would like to try even underclocking/undervolting it make it run cooler. I think I read somewhere that the nf7s and both dfi boards can adjust cpu voltage in bios down to 1.1v while the a7n8x doesn't let you undervolt from the bios?

asus dont let u undervolt the chip, never tried a mobile barton on it as i know that when i put a dltc 1800+(default vcore 1.55v)
fire up motherboard it set the vcore to 1.55v.try it and let me know.maybe u need vcore mode to this mobo to go as high as 2v
good luck

Actually, I am having problems reaching 200MHz FSB. I have a 2600+ mobile Barton and the a7n8x-e. When I first started it, it started the cpu at 5 by 133 (yeah, weak). Here are the settings I can hit:

190 by 11.5 (1.575V)
195 by 11 (1.675V)
205 by 8.5
but i cant hit 200 by 10 even with relatively high voltages (1.750V)..

I havent changed any other settings from teh default (though I did set AGP to 66mhz with no positive effect).

At most of these settings, I can prime95 will run for a little while (5-10mins) before finding an error.

Oh yeah, vid card is a 9700 Pro AIW

I would really appreciate any help that you guys can give.

thanks

yes, ram is kingston
KVR400X64C25/512 512MB 400MHz DDR PC3200 DIMM CL2.5

presently running at 12 by 185..

right now at 12.5 by 189 at 1.750V. I cant do 13 or up because it shares with 5X so suddenly I have a 1ghz cpu. 10 by 200 still fails even at high voltages. I updated the bios (at 1008 now) and no improvement. I wish I could narrow down where the problem is. I dont think it's the ram or cpu but the a7n8x-e board I purchased refurbished at newegg... perhaps that's the weak link?

doing prime95 stress test right now... at 12.5, 189 at 1750V. CPU temp is 55C under full load with a zalman 7000CU heatsink/fan.

what is your borad version
it is rev 1.04 or rev 2 borad ?
look between pci slot

this is the a7n8x-e board so there hasnt been a revision. This board is 1.01

what's interesting is that i can run prime95 for at least 5 hours at 187 by 12.5 (1.650V) but it will crash battlefield vietnam in 5 minutes.

I've been able to get the game running stable at 180 by 12.5 (1.650V)

All this suggests to me there's somethign wrong with the mobo. anyone have any experience RMAing a refurbished mobo to newegg (and perhaps getting a retail one?)

thanks

have set the agp frequency to 66 mhz?
turn off agp fast write if u are overclocking your video card try to run it at stock and reinstall your video driver ,directx
have u tried other games?
if u have runned prime95 test (blend.....) for 5 hours mean that can at least for 5 hours this test stress your cpu,chipset,ram more than battlefield vitenam
somethings is going wrong here....

Back