• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory probs. on Epox board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eroc

Ok...here is my situation. I have been in contact with Epox (which has been a long process) and with RamGuy at the Corsair forums and this is what has transpired so far.

I have been having a hard time with my ram and board combo. My 2-PC3500C2 sticks will not run at rated speed on my Epox 8rda3+. I get MANY errors in memtest on test #5 when in dual channel at 200 . I have to set it to 2.5-3-3-7 before the errors go away.

Here is what I have done so far:

Epox 8rda3+:
Tested (test #5) memory individually @ 200 2-3-3-7 (as rated): 0 errors

Tested both sticks, single channel @ 200 2-3-3-7: 0 errors

Tested Dual Channel @ 200 @ 2-3-3-7: lots of errors

Tested Dual Channel @ 166 @ 2-3-3-7: 0 errors

Abit IC7G:

Tested Dual Channel @200 and 217 @ 2-3-3-7 : 0 errors

Why won't the rated timings work in my Epox board UNDERclocked even?!

My Bios is updated.

All test were done at default voltages (the dimms showed up as 2.7V which I figured was more than adequate) with my Athlon 1700 running at 200*5 or 200*7 (to eliminate the processor as a variable).

Basically my Ram wont run Dual Channel over about 190ish fsb syncronous or asyncronous

The RamGuy told me I was running my proc. at too high of a bus. I told him that the multi was low and that should not be the prob. He disagrees. I have NEVER heard of that. A proc can run at a rated speed period. If I run my 1700 (in sig) at 200*5 it won't matter that the bus is overspec because it is underclocked. If the bus is too high lower the multi...right?

Tell me I am not making this up! Am I wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.

Maybe it is the mobo that's holding you back? Because the ram shouldn't be causing all those troubles as they are bh5's

Maybe its an issue with corsair ram's compatability with Epox mobos. I had a pair of Corsair PC3200LL ram that did 220mhz on my Intel system but simply didn't work on my friend's Epox 8RDA+. We tried some Kingston ram and it worked beautifully.

Icarus said:
Maybe its an issue with corsair ram's compatability with Epox mobos. I had a pair of Corsair PC3200LL ram that did 220mhz on my Intel system but simply didn't work on my friend's Epox 8RDA+. We tried some Kingston ram and it worked beautifully.

Thats EXACTLY what I am sayin'! This memory works fine in my Intel board and my friend's Asus. Also, my other roommate's Mushkin Enhanced PC3500 (also Winbond BH-5s) gives me errors as well in this board. Leaving only the board or proc.

Note: this is the second epox board I have had that has the same probs.

The board should NOT be holding me back as it is an ultra400 board.

Oh...and what about:

The RamGuy told me I was running my proc. at too high of a bus. I told him that the multi was low and that should not be the prob. He disagrees. I have NEVER heard of that. A proc can run at a rated speed period. If I run my 1700 (in sig) at 200*5 it won't matter that the bus is overspec because it is underclocked. If the bus is too high lower the multi...right?

Has anyone heard of that?

That just BS, there is absolutely no difference for the cpu running at 100*10 or 200*5, the end result is still the same, unless he is talking about the mobo and not the cpu.

That's not BS gentlemen. There are many CPUs that just won't do higher FSBs - not because of the motherboard or memory, but because of the CPU itself. For example, many people with mobile Bartons have found that they don't overclock as well FSB wise as other CPUs. Even after lowering the multiplier, FSB tolerance varies from chip to chip. This is also true of 266MHz T-Breds; they don't always manage as high FSBs as 333MHz FSB Bartons. It doesn't always come into play, but it can. 10x200 is VERY different from 8x250.

The problem exists. I'm not saying it's the problem in this case, as it could very well be the motherboard.

I should put an old Duron 1.2GHz I have into my board and see how high I could push the FSB. That would be interesting...

Last edited:
johan851: Ok I can see that...However, I still get errors at 133*11(stock) with the memory at 200. Ramguy countered this saying they were async and that was the prob.

At 166 fsb with mem. at 200 (should not cause probs) I still get errors and I have run this chip at 190ish with PC2700 memory no probs.

I will try my Athlon 2000+ and this Barton 2500+ and see what happens too.

Thanks for the insight.

johan851 said:

That's not BS gentlemen. Glasszon: be careful of what assumptions you make. There are many CPUs that just won't do higher FSBs - not because of the motherboard or memory, but because of the CPU itself. For example, many people with mobile Bartons have found that they don't overclock as well FSB wise as other CPUs. Even after lowering the multiplier, FSB tolerance varies from chip to chip. This is also true of 266MHz T-Breds; they don't always manage as high FSBs as 333MHz FSB Bartons. It doesn't always come into play, but it can. 10x200 is VERY different from 8x250.

The problem exists. I'm not saying it's the problem in this case, as it could very well be the motherboard.

I should put an old Duron 1.2GHz I have into my board and see how high I could push the FSB. That would be interesting...

Sorry, I never heard people having problem with CPU having too high FSB and I never had a cpu that had that problem either, so I thought mobo will fail before the cpu if the fsb have gone too high, I guess I need to read more before I attempt to post, sorry about that.

It is ok glasszon: I HAVE read a lot and had not heard of that...It isn't talked about a whole lot AFAIK.

Yeah, it's a little-known problem. Like I said, it doesn't look like that's the problem in your case. Your CPU should be able to do 166mhz regardless...my 1700+ is ok with 215 and beyond. It sounds like Epox just made a crappy mobo. I'll be interested to see what happens with the other processors. If you still get the errors, RMA the mobo if you can and get a DFI Infinity Ultra or an NF7-S.

Async probably was the problem in that case - it makes things go haywire for me too. If you've tested the memory in other systems, however, and it's worked fine, then you can rule that out too. If your other CPUs act different, you can pin it on the CPU. Otherwise, it's probably the board.

Yeah...this is the second Epox board that does this...I will try this Barton 2500 when I get a chance. If it still does not work it must be compatibility. If it does I guess it is the proc.

I ran a Barton 2500 in an Asus board async (166/200; fsb/mem) and it ran fine so it could very well be either board or proc.

Thanks again bro!

UPDATE...

Memory seems to run fine at 180 in sync with different proc. (testing Barton 2500) Still won't run async at 166fsb/200mem w/o errors.

To compare I had tested this ram on an Asus board with a Barton 2500 with the same settings 166fsb/200mem with NO errors. So now I can probably say mobo though I am not done testing yet.

There is a LAN party tonight and don't have more time to tweak around...just need a STABLE system.

Back