• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any chance of life for this poor XP1800

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

3rdRocl

Registered
Unforunatly I overtightened a screw on my water block which has cut the cpu's outter protection and some pcb traces:mad:

I would like to find out if this is fixable.
Are there any components under where the damage is?
The cpu was fired up after this happened would this have blown the chip completely?

Does anyone have any experience with somthing like this or know if there is anyone in the U.K. that could fix it and how much it would cost. I suppose it would make a nice keyring if not!

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• cpu.jpg
    cpu.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 165
I would say no, the chances that someone could repair those small pcb traces are close to none.

Also the cost/effort is not worth it if it is possible to fix.

Welcome to the Forums

I would say no, the chances that someone could repair those small pcb traces are close to none.

Ditto.

:eek: That's quite a gash on that processor :eek:

I imagine you could try running it on a stock HSF just to test (don't think it can kill the board, just won't boot). If it doesn't work, you found yourself a new keyring :(

fletch said:

Ditto.

:eek: That's quite a gash on that processor :eek:

I imagine you could try running it on a stock HSF just to test (don't think it can kill the board, just won't boot). If it doesn't work, you found yourself a new keyring :(

Yup. If it doesnt boot, its dead. If you dont want the dead thing, I'll take it ;) lol!

I doubt it would be feasable to fix that if it did kill it. If it works, then you have a nice little battle scar to show off :p

fixability

I'm pretty sure if it was fixable, it'd cost more to fix it then to get a new one. So unless you really like that processor, I'd just get a mobile athlon or something.

Get a new processor, cheaper than replacing that thing. The new mobiles are all the rage, so why not try one of those out ;) If it works then all the more power to you. Good luck and cheers :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Wow, now how exactly did that happen? I would think overtightening the screws would just crush the core.

Well if the traces are gone it is screwed. I say put a piece of electrical tape over the damaged area, slap a heatsink on it, and hope to god the traces didn't get cut all of the way through.

Steven4563 said:
looks like u got a little bit of sand paper and rubbed it in tiny circles :p

Yup I did :D , I wanted to find out how much damage had been done.
The screw that did the damage has a concaved tip, I screwed it in too far so it was sticking out the bottom of the water block (a design fault and not human error surley :p ).
While strugling to get the block off (its a right *****) the screw dug in!
If you have a look at the block, it should be easier to see how it happened :eek:
http://overclockers.com/articles549/

owww...don't think it can be fixed and would cost too much anyhow. you're better off replacing it or turn it into a nice keyring.

Back