• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How are the level I muskin ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if all CH-5s perform the same, then you can expect ~220mhz maximum fsb from one .. not really that bad, but buffalo's costs a lot less .. i use a pair in DC on my abit NF7 for 4 months (exactly 220fsb), never gave me any problem whatsoever :) .. been gaming, encoding, decoding, video editing ... bottom line is mine is stable at 220fsb .. expect the same :D

CH-5 or 6's SUCK period.

Buy the BH-6's while you still can.

2-2-2 timings at 250MHZ @ 3.1-3.3v STABLE AND SAFE (if properly cooled).

Enough said.

The PC3200 is 2-3-2 and the PC3500 is 2-3-3 ? After some searching I see they're the CH5's. Any success stories?
Yes and no.. Ive seen a run of the gamut. CH5 *can* be exceptionally good... however its *almost* as rare as BH5.

What is your mobo capable of and what board / PC are you putting this in? That makes all the difference

You may be better off with Adata. Their memory can do near CH5 timings as very high speeds... Ive seen their PC4200 that runs @ 2-3-3-11

Plz list what you will be using this RAM in...CH5 may suffice perfectally

CH-5 or 6's SUCK period.
CH5 does not entierly suck LOL:p ..... Ive seen FAR worse ram

It's not as rare - mushkin lvl 1 is readily available. It isn't worth anything to high tweakers as it would take 3.1v to get it above 217FSB at 2-3-3 timings and at that voltage they fry in a short amount of time due to the micron process being smaller.

1 word. Electromigration.

Son of a B*tCH!!! You mean my ch5 memory is just not going to overclock!? Dammit! No wonder I cant get it above 200fsb!! *%$^&%$&#$%^#$&(^%(doiufsjgdpqweg(p&#engPIUNREGP74NGP74NP4N7HAS DF ASDF ASDF E RT

What is a safe voltage to run it at?

Well before my vdimm mod, I had my CH-5's set at 2.9V (3V realistically) and overclocked to 444mhz (222fsb) at 2-3-3-11. I bought this Buffalo stick last summer, so not sure if anything has changed since then.

I just purchsed a pair of mushkin lvl1 pc3500 and 3200 2x512. First i thought by having a gig it would limit my overclock but it did not and the mushkin performed like my old corsair llpt(ch5) and maxed out at 217fsb. I was surprised to find that it is not worth buying the pc3500 because the pc3200 runs just as fast as the pc3500. The mushkin lvl1 pc 3200 maxed out at 219fsb while the mushkin lvl1 pc3500 maxed out at 220.
The both used ch-5 so i did not expect a big difference. This is with timings of 2-3-2-6 on both sticks which the 3500 is rated for 2-3-3-6. Probably could get the fsb higher with looser timings. I will tell you one thing though about mushkin, I was not happy with their customer service. I have had bad expierences with them in the past.

Keep clockin

jkb2198 said:
I just purchsed a pair of mushkin lvl1 pc3500 and 3200 2x512. First i thought by having a gig it would limit my overclock but it did not and the mushkin performed like my old corsair llpt(ch5) and maxed out at 217fsb. I was surprised to find that it is not worth buying the pc3500 because the pc3200 runs just as fast as the pc3500. The mushkin lvl1 pc 3200 maxed out at 219fsb while the mushkin lvl1 pc3500 maxed out at 220.
The both used ch-5 so i did not expect a big difference. This is with timings of 2-3-2-6 on both sticks which the 3500 is rated for 2-3-3-6. Probably could get the fsb higher with looser timings. I will tell you one thing though about mushkin, I was not happy with their customer service. I have had bad expierences with them in the past.

Keep clockin

and I had nothing but good experiences with them :D .. when one of my basic (green) module went bad, they sent me replacement using fedex next day delivery, and included pre-paid shipping label for me to ship the defective one back to them .. all for free ...

jkb2198: what's wrong? All I heard so far everyone said Mushkin had great customer service, you are the first one I heard that said Mushkin had bad customer service.

Pplz often give CH5 such a bad rap....but for an average Nforce board they work great..

If you cannot get them to OC return them or sell them. Its entirely your call

OK guys, I am FINALLY stable at 220 fsb!! Upped vdimm to 3.0 volts and passed 4 hours of memtest..... I am going to run some 3dmark/prime, will report back. Been workin on this for too long, lol. It's weird because there is a barrier on my ram in between 2.7-3.0v. Damn ch5, gotta love it.....:) I plan on running up to 3.2v through this puppy. This ram was purchased 2 weeks ago, so it is the newer ch5.

Sounds good. The only reason I said the things I did is because NEWER CH-5's are especially unkind to high voltage. You maybe in luck with yours - I know the 3 different sets of 1gb didn't suffice for my needs. I wanted bh5 performance though - not possible.

It IS possible to still get bh5 if you willing to take your time, but you better be prepared to pay A LOT for it though.

MadInsane said:
OK guys, I am FINALLY stable at 220 fsb!! Upped vdimm to 3.0 volts and passed 4 hours of memtest..... I am going to run some 3dmark/prime, will report back. Been workin on this for too long, lol. It's weird because there is a barrier on my ram in between 2.7-3.0v. Damn ch5, gotta love it.....:) I plan on running up to 3.2v through this puppy. This ram was purchased 2 weeks ago, so it is the newer ch5.
I've learned that .10volt for every 15hz for these lvl1.

MadInsane said:
No way! the performance gain of bh5 is no where near worth the price. IMO.

I agree for the most part but don't forget bh5 is likely to be the best DDR ram for a AMD rig and it will take a LONG time before DDR2 be good enough for the market to accept it.

Back