• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stock had to overvolt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hafa

OK, so I set up a stock AMD system like I've done a hundred times before, MSI K7N2 Delta, XP2600+ everything stock, destined for an office where it will run boring terminal emulation and other easy tasks.

Assembled the system, installed Windows XP Pro, no problem. Went to install the board drivers...spontaneous restart...hmm..fluke? Nope, Windows freezes, can't start. OK, start to replace things I have spares of...memory...nope still a problem. IDE cables, nope. Hmmm...OK, keep on trying, get into Windows at last. Man, this things acting like the processor is hosed. OK, run Sandra. CPU arithmetic bench...POOF! spontaneous restart, every time...AHA! Yep, hosed processor.

BUT WAIT! What would overclockers do (wwod)? Overvolt when the processor acts dodgy! OK, Overvolt to 7.5V and ramp up the CPU fan to 3400 RPM...Sandra has been running the burn-in wizard for 4 runs and counting without a hitch...

Now, the question is this...If this processor is a bit dodgy (or is it?) should I expect it to die a premature death? I know that this is kind of like crystal gazing, but WTF, can't hurt to get some educated guesses. What think you all? Order another 2600XP ASAP to replace this one when it blows, or just relax, because it will last more than long enough like most XPs?

this is very unusual. are you using a good brand name psu? did you check the cpu voltages in sandra before you overvolted? The only thing i can think of is that your cpu is being undervolted ie. stock voltage 1.65v you get 1.6.

Very unusual indeed....(best Marvin the Martian voice) Yup, Antec 350W PSU...Should be adequate to this task...only one HDD and two fans...just a stock PC...multimeter tests 12V rail at 12.4, 5V is at 4.97 and 3V is at 2.95... all within tolerance...CPU V in bios set to 1.75; Sandra reports 1.79...

Back