• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermal Compound on A64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Comp. B

Registered
A friend of mine gave me a A64 3200+ that he was putting in his new computer. He said that he got a bit of thermal compound on the pins (I didn't ask how) and he would like me to do a favor for him and fix it. I've never seen such a situation, there is AS5 on the top of the pins and I cannot think of a way to remove it. Any suggestions?

Bathe and rinse the processor in alcohol and then set it to dry for 12 hours. I had the same happen to me with a T-Bred.

Hope he didn't get any into the socket? :eek:

Is there a certain period of time I should bathe it, or does it not matter? I will have to ask him about the socket though. He is new at this type of thing and I'm not quite sure how it happened, but he will be relieved to hear that I was able to fix it. Thanks for your help.

So I then I won't have to worry about it sitting there too long and becoming unusable?

I need a reply on whether or not I can damage his CPU by keeping it on there too long, help would be appreciated.

Spray contact cleaner will clean it very easily and flash dry in a matter of seconds. I wouldn't worry about arctic silver shorting anything out either. I've tested the continuity several times and it was always dead zero.

I really wouldn't wory about it too much like tc said its not conductive at all. It is capacitive albeit very slightly so do what ever you can to take it off the pins though I wouldn't worry about it being in the socket. After all thats where you want the electicity to go anyways.

I wanted to know if it will hurt the CPU to keep it submerged in alcohol. (I assume that is what you meant when you said to bathe) Sorry for not wording it will enough, I can see that I didn't choose my words very well.

Back