• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adata 4200 or 3700 OCZ or ? for P4 3.0C Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

muscl3s

I just bought a new P4 3.0C off newegg refurbs to replace my crappy 2.4b but I need new memory. The 3.0C happens to be a SLK6WK. The motherboard I'm using is a P4C800-E Deluxe. The old ram I had in case anyone is wondering was 512MBx2 Kingston valueram pc2700.

I'm really a hardcore gamer and I'm running on air cooling but I want to push to around 250 FSB if possible. These are the ones I'm considering:

OCZ Performance Series Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-4200

OCZ Enhanced Latency Series Dual Channel Gold Revision 2 184 Pin 1GB( 512MBx2) DDR PC-3700

1GB Kit (512MBX2) PC-4200 Dual Channel DDR Komusa ADATA hyperram

Idealy, I'd really like to get the OCZ EL R2 GOLD out of those three because the timings on that ram rock and can oc well. But perhaps I'll be able to go over 255 fsb... What do you guys suggest I get? If there is something else in the list that I'm missing and should consider please let me know. Keep in mind that my budget is 300 and under. Also keep in mind I need 1 gig of ram and can't go 256x2.

Thanks advance for any help, I'm new to the forums here :)

Welcome to the forum!

I heard some people are having good oc with their Adata ram, so maybe you should try that because it is 100% sure it will reach 250fsb+, although I guess then the CPU will restrict you before your ram do if you decide to go for Adata 4200.

Chances are I won't get my fsb over 250 so I'm leaning towards pc3700. I think if my fsb is 250 or under the timings will suck with the Adata 4200. The OCZ EL 3700 Gold Rev2 has been out of stock at Newegg for over a month which is rediculous. I really want that memory but I wonder how much longer it will be until newegg has it in stock again. They show no ETA. Anandtechs review on the new Samsung pc3700 looks good but that ram is non existant... Can't find it on a single vendor. God I want new memory NOW. I hate waiting.

Ok well I couldn't wait any longer. I took the plunge and bought the OCZ EL pc3700 Dual Channel Gold Rev2 for $300. Hopefully I'll be pleased when I get it.

At 250FSB, the Adata will run at 2.5-7-4-3 which is basically the same as the OCZ 3700... But since you already bought it, the issue is moot. :)

I think I've seen posts where people have gotten something like 2.5-3-3-6 at around 250 fsb with the ocz 3700. I just didn't want to gamble with the adata since I doubt my cpu will clock any higher than 250 plus I know the ocz runs well on 2.85 volts and I'm pretty sure I read the adata likes more than that which would make me have to mod my board which I don't want to do and never done before :/ My decision just really came down to the OCZ being "more of a sure thing" as opposed to the adata at only a 40 dollar extra cost.

Yes the OCZ will do 250+ 2.5-3-3-6 :D

I would have gotten some of the new PC3500 EB (enhanced bandwidth) as some of the guys have been getting 250Mhz 1:1 3-2-2-6 (cas 3 that is)

Steve

OH MY GOD. The place I ordered from just sent me an email saying that the item is currently on back order and they have no ETA. I almost want to cry, argh. I wish every vendor was like Newegg.

Look for some Enhanced Bandwidth or Enhanced Latency - just as good if not better than the Rev. 2 Gold

I've only found one site that sells the OCZ 3500 EB and it costs like 60 bucks more than the OCZ 3700 EL Gold Rev2. Not worth it imo. All the sites that sell the OCZ 3700 EL Gold Rev2 are out of stock with no ETA except the vendors that charge like 50+ more.

If anyone has any links to vendors who have either I'd really appreciate it. This is so frustrating! I want to see how far I can OC my 3.0C so bad. lol.

I tried there already and I prefer not to order from them since I'm in the US. Their listed prices are kinda high and according to their pricematch policy, "Competitors price must be in Canadian dollars, and not converted from U.S. currencies" so I can't pricematch anything from any of the good US sellers.

I bought the OCZ 3700 rev.2 gold series and ended up sending it back to newegg because it maxed out at like 220 1:1 with dual channel. I think I just got some bad sticks but I wouldn't trust it. I bought the komusa stuff and have it running 288mhz 1:1 with no problems and 2.8v, turbo on, PAT on as well. Also the Komusa stuff is cheaper. But in reality I seriuosly doubt the 3.0c will do 250fsb so I don't think it will be your memory holding you back. If you had a 2.4 or 2.6c then 250fsb would be easy but a 3.0c @ 250fsb is really the very top end and probably unlikely.

Definitely sounds like you got some bad sticks. I just paid like 30 bucks extra for it someplace other than NewEgg but these guys appear real slow at shipping :( Most people seem to have no problem getting 250 out of the OCZ 3700 Gold Rev2 from what I've read. Which is exactly what I need tops like you say. I just pray they aren't bad like the ones you got.

I agree, the customer service from OCZ rocks! They will be willing to send you hand picked ones if the ones you buy don't meet the specs they are rated at. I could have done that but I opted to go for the Adata stuff just because I decided with my 2.4 I needed some really high fsb stuff.

ive got the same setup with the 3700 rev2 and a 3.0c
the ocz is some really nice stuff, i maxed my fsb at 260-70ish i cant remember the exact number, but i had my cpu at 3.9 on stock air. i hope you get a good cpu, because they can really fly. even if you do get a good set of ram from them, knowing that you have the lifetime warrenty and theyre awesome customer service makes everything feel more secure. real good company.

Back