• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIG PROBLEMS o/c mushkin memory pc3500....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadInsane

Hey guys, i REALLY need your help, I have been trying to o/c my system all week to no avail! Specs are in my sig, im using mushkin level 1 pc3500. I know the memory is fine, because it is brand new, and smokes memtest no problem. I know my cpu is fine, because it will overclock just fine, and is unlocked. Problems kick in (this was tested on my current DFI board, and another MSI k7n2 motherboard with the same ram) when i up the fsb to ANYTHING over 200. Even 205 fsb. I have tried all the bios', I have played with all the options, upping voltages, etc. etc. etc. etc. :(

Thing is, my memory is rock solid in memtest at 210-217 fsb at 2.7v, at 2.8v it will fail memtest. Now, if I try to go into windows, prime and any other program will crash pretty quickly at anything over 200fsb. I have upped chipset voltage, etc. and tried another motherboard. What could be the problem? What am i doing wrong? ive tried EVERYTHING! please help. :eek: I know its not my processor because i have set it to ridiculously low speeds, and at over 200fsb it will always fail prime and 3dmark.

ok.

The Winbond CH-5's (what you have) HATE voltage - in fact, there is a barrier somewhere between 2.8 and 3v. You have to go above 3v to even get anywhere above what you could get at 2.75v.

They are rated at 2-3-3-6 @ 2.75v @ 217FSB. The processor (believe it or not) *could* be the bottleneck here. Unless it's faulty RAM - this must be the case.

Your processor is probably a 133 or 166 FSB proc. Mushkin claims that the RAM is only rated at 217 with a 200FSB proc (barton 3200) which is rediculous but true. I however have never had a problem. You might try doing the L12 mod on your chip.

What is the Exact RAM voltage? You want to get as close to 2.75-2.8 as possible (not necessarily bios but actual). Anything over this will fail miserably untill you get to 3.1, 3.2 etc... BUT you don't want to give the ch's this much voltage because they will die in a much shorter amount of time.

Let me know what your Exact voltages are (using the pc health or wherever your voltages and temps are displayed) or hardware doctor in windows. Your looking for the VDD voltage or VDIMM voltage.

From there we should be able to troubleshoot this a bit more.

BTW - If I were you I would return them to whoever and buy the 3200 Special from mushkin. It flat out rocks. They are bh-6's and can take much more voltage and give much better results. NOT to mention that they are out of production and is the BEST (along with bh-5) RAM available - nothing will beat it untill ddr2. The two are pretty much gems and you should get your hands on them ASAP. Prices are high but it is worth it. Buy 2x512MB 2-2-2 specials. Quick.

If not, msg back and we will try to further troubleshoot.

Joe

BTW - If I were you I would return them to whoever and buy the 3200 Special from mushkin.
^^ Agreed.... either this or cheapo PC4000

It sounds like you have the same problem as I. Ch5 often has problem with its voltage regulator... thus it dosnt take to voltage too well UNLESS it works properly.(which it rarely does)

IMHO you would be better off with PC4k.... least that way you can hit 270

It sounds like you have the same problem as I. Ch5 often has problem with its voltage regulator... thus it dosnt take to voltage too well UNLESS it works properly.(which it rarely does)

IMHO you would be better off with PC4k.... least that way you can hit 270

Agreed.

Hmmmm, Well I know that the ram is not faulty. I cannot afford now to return it for 222 special. If I can at LEAST hit 220 fsb, i will be happy. I can't get my voltages from mbm, but they did read approx. 2.72-2.75 in the bios. You know, i really think that it is some bios options in there that need some tweaking.....

turn of command per clock in the ram settings. Set them to 11-3-3-3-2(cas). Keep the voltage and everything else default.

Command per clock is probably what is holding you back. It taxes the ram.

Hmmmm, Well I know that the ram is not faulty. I cannot afford now to return it for 222 special. If I can at LEAST hit 220 fsb

You RAM IS defective... return / RMA it. My Level 1 did 223 @ 2.6v right out of the box on my NF7.

(check my thread)unfortunately some ram and mb's dont get along well. try changing the ratio's, also test each 1 seperately and if u can borrow a stick from a friendto test with a different make of memory. i try to keep 2 sets of memory (i know that may not be possible for u) cause nowadays i have found the new mb's especially the intel 875/865 to be real finiky with some ram and run great with other...

You RAM IS defective... return / RMA it. My Level 1 did 223 @ 2.6v right out of the box on my NF7.

your on an nf7 - you don't have command per clock like the dfi's do. Like I said. Besides, was it Mushkin?

Your ram may not be defective.

only the 3500 LVL 2 is bh5 not the lvl 1 stuff. It's ch5.

Hmm, Ok. BTW, I have tested this ram on another mobo my previous MSI k7n2 delta L, and it did the same thing, (also, that board was limited to 2.7v vdimm!) I know for a fact that this ram isnt defective, it is an rma return because my first pair was defective in the first place. They have been tested by mushkin, and they pass memtest ok. I will mess with bios and report back soon! (I got one of my new coolermaster 4 led fans today, omg it is too bright! overpowers my dual uv blacklights :()

OK I think im getting closer here, i turned off CPC, and now i am stable at 210fsb and only 2.7vdimm. BUT, i drastically lost performance. At an increase of 10fsb, i lost about 400-500 3dmark01 points!! Nooooooooo, lol. any more suggestions?

You have 2 sticks of 512 - which on nf2 boards are very particular about them being matched Perfectly. I know that mushkin tests most of their ram using intel systems (they use amd too but not as often) which is more friendly. You might not have BAD sticks - but you might not have GOOD sticks either. Also, mushkin uses only memtest which has been proven to be a lighter load then prime95. You should be able to get at LEAST 217 @ 2-3-3-6 @ 2.75v. If I were you I would call mushkin and tell them you can't even get this (btw, when they ask you what kind of processor you have - make sure you tell them 3200 barton @ 200FSB.) Just trust me.

Mushkin needs to know that you want Perfectly matched sticks - have them test them vigoriously on an AMD nf2 platform.

I'd send them back if I were you.

Back