• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon 64 FSB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tgxiii

Could someone explain to me in simple terms how the FSB works on Athlon 64 CPUs?

I've seen so many different ways the FSB is described on Athlon 64s. Some sites say 200MHz, others 800MHz, and others 1600MHz. I've even seen some say "integrated into chip" .

I understand that the memory controller is in the CPU itself and that it's not on the Northbridge, but I don't understand what some sites mean when they say the FSB is 200MHz or 1600MHz. I thought that if it was integrated into the CPU, the FSB would run at the same clock frequency as the CPU itself.

I think your confusion comes about because the FSB which historically was the hub for carrying information has essentally been replaced by the Hyper Transport technology on the 64's which carries information point to point. It is this that runs much faster than what was previously termed the FSB (up to 1600Mhz).

NF3 250 will support it as well. they both will also have PCI locks. I suggest you wait till both chipsets are available and chose which one is better after there are some reviews available

Back