• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much to overclock Corsair PC2700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ross2280

Registered
Hi,

I just bought a gig (2x512) of Corsair Value PC2700 @ 400mhz, and its installed in Dual channel mode on an Asus P4P800 Deluxe motherboard. My cpu is a p4 2.8c @ 800mhz at the moment.
I used to run this cpu at 3.35 stable for months, but now i downclocked temporarily due to the new memory.
How much do you think i can overclock to, considering the new memory frequency? Any suggestions with this sort of memory?

Thanks!

Hi,

all the chips say ValueSelect on them, and some numbers, so i am not sure what brand they are. They are from the ValueSelect Corsair range.

at the very end of all the numbers and jibberish... you should see - 6 or -7 something like that. This is the nanoseconds the ram is rated at that. From there we can determine what it is capable of. I'm guessing that it will do 220ish with a bit more voltage.

you might consider heatspeaders or ram sinks if your going to up the voltage. I don't have much experience with the value select stuff but it should do a fair overclock. 200mhz is already pretty fair though so no promises. write down the whole chip for me and I will tell you the exact specs on them.

Ok, heres the chip code

VS32M8-5 280413

Hope that helps.
I had my previous memory overclocked at around 240Mhz for my cpu to be able to run at 3.35 and it wasnt of that good value as Corsair is considered to be.

They may be 5ns RAM chips. If this is the case they should clock pretty high. Keep the cl @ 2.5 - 3 - 3 -7 and go up from there to reach your highest overclock - than move up the ddr voltage to a max of 2.9 ( i would cool them if you can achieve a good o/c) and than relax timings to 3 - ? - ? - ? from there....

Understood?

Yeap, i'll see what i can do tonight...
I'm not sure about upping the voltage just yet, i'll see what i can get by just changing the mhz...

I'll post my results...
Thanks!

At the moment i have the FSB at 235, which gives me 3.29G on the cpu but the memory has dropped its fsb and instead of being 2x200=400Mhz is now 2x156=312Mhz. I left the memory fsb on auto on my bios.
What does that mean?
that i can take up the fsb until the memory reaches around 400 again or more??

hmmm...

you should take it off of auto and put it to 1:1 - this keeps it synced with the external cpu clock (fsb).

If you take the fsb higher than the ram can handle - you might change the ratio to 5:4 - you shouldn't go any further than that as you will loose the performance gain of upping the fsb in the first place.

Try and run 235 @ 1:1 ratio - you might need to give the ram 2.9v - I wouldn't go any higher than that as these are value chips... Also, you'll need to experiment with the timings to get the best bang for the speed. Example, your ram is rated at 2.5cl? you'll find those specs somewhere within the boundries of corsairs information on that ram.

The point is, try and keep the ram at the timings that corsair recommends - if you HAVE to (in order to get a higher fsb) you can loosen the timings to obtain more stability, but too much loosening will just hamper the performance you are trying to get. You need to find the sweet spot yourself.

If you need more explanation, I"ll be happy to help. This is a little rough - I am in a hurry.

Regards,

Techjoe

Back