• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

K7N2 Delta ILSR/Amd 2800+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You could overclock but really you do not need anymore performance unless you just want too for shear bragging rights, List what hardware you have.

FSB right now is 166 and the multiplier is by H/W. If I change it, then it won't post and I have to reset my jumpers and put it back to default.

Until you get DDR 3200 or higher its best to just leave everything stock settings and FSB/DRAM ratio 1:1 like wonkanoby said running in sync will give you more performance

How to OC.

"FSB right now is 166 and the multiplier is by H/W. If I change it, then it won't post and I have to reset my jumpers and put it back to default." Multiplier H/W must mean it's locked. Hmm. . . . If that's the case don't see why you couldn't increase the FSB.

On an OC'ing friendly MB the BIOS allows "user defined" front side bus speed. Default fsb is 166 so increasing the FSB *or* multiplier will increase your CPU speed.

Write this formula in your book;
FSB X Multiplier (clock ratio) = CPU speed in MHz. In your case 166 X 12.5 = 2075MHz or 2.075 GHz rounded off 2.08GHz.

"You could overclock but really you do not need anymore performance unless you just want too for shear bragging rights."

I fully concur with Super 10 because the 2800 Barton 2.08GHz is fast enough for the average bear and if you get 2.5 out of it I don't think you'll notice any appreciable speed difference and I found PC2700 economical and fast enough for me. If it's gaming performance you're after, rather than increasing the CPU speed to increase performance I'd look at getting a red hot video card and increase RAM to 1Gig. This clip from an article at Tom's Hardware;

"As before, they are still comparatively cheap - the 2000+ to 2800+ models are all under $100. *The performance they offer is perfectly adequate for most purposes.* If 3D games are your main issue, you should in any case invest more money in a powerful graphics card rather than in the processor."

Stock clock on my 2500 Barton is 1.83GHz and OC'd 2.10GHz, 0.27 billionths of a second faster, the speed increase is hardly visible to the eye. Now who's in that big of a hurry where .27 Ghz really matters that much . . . . ? Not me . . . . OldBird

Thanks BlueFlame.

Yeah, sobering thought and when you get right down to the nitty gritty 0.27 billionths of a second hardly seems worth the effort.

But, . . . mankind has that wonderful built in gift and always searching, looking, seeking for better n' faster and if we didn't we'd just sit marking time trapped in a Flinstone's era stone age.

As such, I really admire those that strive to make it run just five billionths of a second faster and obtain great gratification from their accomplishment. Then they get on line here and willingly share their trials and errosrs and what they learned that others might learn from them and so on.

"Alexander Flemming discovered penicillin in the famous "mould in petri dish experiment" in 1928. Flemming realized that the mould in his petri dish was producing a substance that was killing the bacteria. However, he was unable to convert the original form - Penicillin G - into a form which was stable enough to be useful, and so he abandoned his work in 1931. Florey, chain and Heatley resumed the work in 1935, and the substance they produced was successfully trialled in humans in 1940."

Little do we realize just how many lives penicillin has saved, and all because Fleming said, "What's that stuff growing in my petri dish?" It's all relative and someday one of our overclocker friends might just come up with something better than the binary code, or invent something that will astound the computer industry. That's why it's important we take delight in one anothers accomplishments and give frequent pats on the back, high-fives and exhort one another because to most folks that five billionths of a second is trivial, insignificant and not worth the time it takes . . . .

Like the man said, . . . . "It's only Puppy Love to us, but it's *LOVE* to the Puppy!" ;)

See LoneWolf's first post where he said, "Does anybody have any helpful hints on how I can get more out of my processor. Right now it runs at 2.08 ghz." He had an idea, a concept, a desire to make it run better n' faster and look how much support he recieved when a bunch of good, understanding OC'ers jumped on the band wagon to help make his thought manifest into reality. And it all began with one of mankinds basic simple thoughts; How can I make this work better . . . . :rolleyes:
OldBird

Last edited:
Back