• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MemTest Errors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IDriftMyAE86

Registered
I got around 10 errors before getting to 100% and reading on their site it tells me that my ram is bad. I tried default settings w/ the ram at 2.8v and the default SPD settings. I've tried a couple different ways and I still get the errors.

I have Mushkin PC3500 Level 2 Black ram, and They dont make it anymore, so Iono If I should sell this ram and buy different ram that might be more stable in my system or is this ram ok to keep even though I'm getting all those errors? If so recommend some awesome ram to put into my AI-7 abit board?

Thanks

Joel

I wouldn't sell it, that would be real uncool.

Call Mushkin up and see what they have to say.

If you want some new stuff, people have been having success with Adata pc4200. There is a large thread about it here.

PM if you want to sell, etc. lol, I'm desperate for anything that says Mushkin.

If the memory is really screwing thing sup in your comp, RMA it for some way better sticks unless you have BH-5 which I'd keep if I were you since it's a hot commodity and you can sell a GB of it on ebay for $400 and over.

If the memory is really screwing thing sup in your comp, RMA it for some way better sticks unless you have BH-5 which I'd keep if I were you since it's a hot commodity and you can sell a GB of it on ebay for $400 and over.

[rant]WTF?! If someone sold you car and it didn't start, you would have a F*&$ing fit over it. So why do people suggest selling s*$% that doesn't work or even RMA stuff that didn't OC the way they want? Its complete bulls^$@.

DO NOT sell it if it does not work properly unless you don't have a conscience.[/rant]

do not sell it because you can rma it. Muskin has a lifetime warranty on their memory. but you have to qualify.

1. are the stickers on the heatspreader still intact
2. do you have the sales reciept for memory.

Call mushkin they can rma and give you back bh-5.

They keep the best of their bh-5 binned for rma purposes jut like this.

Also the mem cant be bought of ebay and rma'd unless it is a mushkin vendor. You must have the original sales recipet of the first sale of the mem. So if you buy it form someone off ebay make sure you get the orginal reciept otherwise you will have no warranty.

Keep clockin

WTF?! If someone sold you car and it didn't start, you would have a F*&$ing fit over it. So why do people suggest selling s*$% that doesn't work or even RMA stuff that didn't OC the way they want? Its complete bulls^$@.

DO NOT sell it if it does not work properly unless you don't have a conscience

i told a friend it was giving me errors, but since he doesnt over clock he was thinking of buying it, I'm calling muskin today anyways and I bought it off Newegg.com back in Jan. I'm not a person to sell broken stuff, and I wouldnt buy a car that doesnt work either unless I just wanted it for the body or just for a parts car. I personally like the ram, but I just dont like getting errors running memtest, but I dont want to be out 340.00 bucks either. Even if I dont oc my comp, I still want my memory to work since I bought it brand new. I feel you pay what you get for, so I decided I wanted really good ram, but since its not working, well I would just like to swap it out for working ram. The pc is still at OEM for ocing I want to make sure it works before i do any of that.

Thanks

Joel

If it's giving memory errors in memtest, then there are conceivably instances where your data may get corrupted in day-to-day operations. That's what I would call bad memory, and it's definitely not right to sell it.

Speaking as an ebay buyer, the first thing I do when I purchase a stick of memory (or from newegg, for that matter) is run it through memtest86 at stock speeds. If it gives errors, then I contact the seller to notify them that the memory is bad and start working on a refund (or negative feedback).

Good luck with your warranty service. That is definitely the way to proceed. -- Paul

*edit*
Now, on the other hand, memtest86 can give false positives, if there's a problem with your CPU or motherboard, since those components are also implicitly tested.

As for memory in an AI7, I've had okay results with Kingmax PC3500. It isn't the highest-performing memory out there, but I've gotten it up to good speeds (I can't recall correctly at the moment, but somewhere in the 243 MHz range) , which isn't bad for something that costs $100 / 512MB stick at newegg. (Too bad -- it was about $85 / 512MB stick a month or so ago.)
-- Paul */edit*

i told a friend it was giving me errors, but since he doesnt over clock he was thinking of buying it, I'm calling muskin today anyways and I bought it off Newegg.com back in Jan. I'm not a person to sell broken stuff, and I wouldnt buy a car that doesnt work either unless I just wanted it for the body or just for a parts car. I personally like the ram, but I just dont like getting errors running memtest, but I dont want to be out 340.00 bucks either. Even if I dont oc my comp, I still want my memory to work since I bought it brand new. I feel you pay what you get for, so I decided I wanted really good ram, but since its not working, well I would just like to swap it out for working ram. The pc is still at OEM for ocing I want to make sure it works before i do any of that.

Good man.

Apparently, Mushkin has a lot of BH-5 on hand for RMA purposes. Give them a shot.

Fixed!!! When I called Mushkin, they had me change my cas and other settings, I left it as default and let the board control it because I havent changed anything but moved the vdimm up to 2.8v to get it to post. They told me to leave it at 2.8v, and that my latency was too low, so I had to choose user and make the my settings, 2-6-3-2, and mem test I let it run to 1030% error free. I dont try to jump to conclusing but glad it works, and no I changed it to 217fsb @ 1:1 anything higher they said wont work at 1:1.

Thanks guys

So im keeping the ram!! glad didnt really want to RMA it, I really like the Ram its sweet!!

Later

Joel

the SPD was default, I had to manual config it, i was just going to leave it at SPD at first, but it was at 2-5-2-2. and they told me thats to low for that ram, so I changed it to 2-6-3-2 and it works perfect now. The other setting was 2-6-2-2 but thats for an athlon board, p4s need to have 2-6-3-2 to run properly.

Thanks

Joel

Huh, that's really odd that it wouldn't work at stock settings. Chances are, the IC7 does some aggressive things to the timings that Mushkin knows about. At any rate, I'm very glad to hear it all turned out for you. :) -- Paul

Back