• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sound problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gibletzor

ok, i'm kinda startin to get fed up with this Infinity. i could stand all the cold boots and all the other tiny "quirks" it has, until recently. Today, out of nowhere my Nvidia audio drivers decide to stop working and the NV Mixer panel closes itself every time i try to open it. I've uninstalled/reinstalled mobo/audio drivers 3 times today and it's still screwed up. this happened before and i had to reinstall windows completely to fix it. this time though, my southbridge has gotten incredibly hot for no reason that i can tell, and my chipset voltage is at auto.

i had the nvidia 4.31 audio drivers and the 3.13 motherboard drivers..

anyone have any ideas wtf is wrong with this thing before i say to hell with it and buy a NF7-S? cause i know those are nice and stable... at least the one in my other computer is. haven't had 1 problem with it yet.

high fsb is known to increase southbridge's temp ... put on a sink on that SB .. that's a known cure for nforce2 sound problem :)

doh! forgot to change my sig. i've been running at 200x11 and 195x12 lately with a gig of Geil pc3200 instead of the Mushkin. there is a heatsink on it, but it's just the stock one the board came with. always kept it cool until this afternoon :(

if it's passive southbridge, try adding airflow over it, or better yet, put on a 40mm fan .. as most likely the overheating SB is the main cause for your problem

there's a 92mm 56 cfm fan in the front of my case blowing almost directly over the southbridge and video card. i don't think that's the problem. and that still doesn't explain why the drivers just like to stop working and not want to reinstall and work again until i reinstall windows...

if the problem is fixed everytime you reinstall windows, then it's a conflict with a program you installed that you didn't when windows was freshly setup .. thats pretty much what I can think of ....

yeah.. that's what i was thinking too. but the only thing i've installed in the last couple days was the Catalyst 3.7 drivers and got rid of my 4.4's. i uninstalled them and put the 4.4's back on, but still not helpin. i had flashed my bios to the 1/21 last week and it worked fine til today. i reflashed to 1/31 this afternoon. didn't help.. <sigh>

I installed my monitor drivers too, but that has never messed anything up before.

just uninstalled the monitor drivers. still no go.

the sound works, but it's just really really crappy sound.. like it's using the windows drivers instead of the Nvidia drivers... and the Nforce control panel and NV Mixer aren't detecting the drivers..

yeah, waiting for socket 939 is sounding more appealing now..

i just threw in my SB Live 5.1 and disabled the onboard sound for now. i got tired of trying to mess with it.

Back