• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1 gig or 512

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johny503

Registered
Ok...after all the readings, I decided that I will acutually spend my money on the bh5 222 level 2 black by muskin. My question now is should I get 512 or 1 gig? Is there any difference or benefits? Im do plan to OC. Thanks all.

i say 1GB def..but if your not a heavy multi tasker & dont play heavy gaming then get 512MB.. i still recommend 1GB just in case of all that:)

The question isn't why, rather why not? Get the 1 Ghz. There's always a way to justify it :-D

there was a time when my friends thought i was crazy for having 1gig of memory, now that's the minimum all of us have. Definitely recommend it.

I switched in two 512mb modules from my dad's dual G4, and I honestly couldn't tell the difference in most things. Only way I noticed was a slightly higher frame rate in games that I wouldn't be able to notice anyway. I was in the same boat as you but I tried it out and I didn't feel the extra cost was justified. I think a lot of people feel that their comp is faster and it sounds better. Some people are probably just trying to justify the puchase to themselves to the point where they believe it is so much better. When I only try 256mb in my comp, I only notice it is slower when changing programs and frame rates, but not really too much. That is how dell can get away with using only 128MB of ram in their bottom systems, even with the integrated video memory taking up to 32MB of that 128.

You will not notice a lot if differnce between a gig and 512 till you find a program that uses more than 512 of memory. Take for instance a new game I bought called farcry. This game typically used 512 to 840mb. Now before i upgraded to a gig when i played farcry it would hang when a lot of action was happening. What happens is once the game uses more than 512(and you only have 512) it will hit the pagefile on your hard drive which greatly impacts performance; which will make games and highly graphic intensive games stutter. But overall performance in windows i did not notice a large difference until i have many apps open at once then i notice a little difference.

Keep clockin

1gig of pc4000 !!! It will be worth it

Edit: jkb2198, awesome Avatar, I need to find one that says Evil Dead Inside!!!!

Back