• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got Mushkin 222 special

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TopShotter

Registered
Hello there folks, just won an auction for 2x256 Mushkin 222 Special for $175.

Since these are bh-6 chips I was wondering what I could expect in terms of OC?

They are pc3200.

I'll be using an NF7-S rev 2.0 mobo, xp 2500+, alx-800 + a tt 80mm fan.

Im curious as to if i should be able to expect to reach 220mhz fsb? (looking mainly memory wise here) at tight timings, and how much voltage i'd probably need to get there? At what voltage would I need to do a volt mod? (i've never done one before, where would i find out how?)

Thanks a bunch guys!

p.s. was this good ram to get for a newbie OCer? (this will be my first overclock)

the best thing to do is try them out for yourself

some people do well with these 222 specials and some people say they OC poorly

Once you get into the 3.2V+ area then those sticks will start to fly. BH-5/6 loves voltage and OC's much better with more voltage

Steve

But typically how much voltage can you give them, without doing a volt mod, ive never done a mod of any sort and am kinda hesitant to do one.

You'll be limited by your motherboard, most likely, and not your RAM. The NF7-S v2 can only give 2.9v to the sticks without a mod. There are a couple of other easy mods which may help increase FSB speeds, which will help increase your overclock (like the L12 mod mentioned in the Motherboards -> Amd -> Abit section), but typically, it's hard to give a measure of what kind of FSB speeds you'll be capable of with your motherboard ... some fly without any mods whatsoever, others need the extra work to get them there.

Are you using a locked desktop 2500+ or one of the mobile 2500+ CPUs?

Im using one of the locked desktop 2500+'s cuz i had heard how ocing them by fsb is still pretty easy and effective.

Yes, it is. You'll want to just starting raising your FSB slowly, testing it with Memtest, Prime 95, and/or SiSoft's Sandra for stability. When it becomes unstable, give it some more voltage.

When you reach your stable FSB speed and voltage limit, then that's when it's time to do a volt mod (if you want to gain more speed out of them, naturally). Check out the Abit Motherboards section and the Volt Modding section for more information on that.

i got mine with the purple heatspreader at 3.3Vdimm running at 245mhz with timings 2-2-2-6

wicked ram....im gonna try to hit 250 with a little tweaking on my AMD rig at 1:1 ratio

Back