• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some idiot cut all the L6 bridges on a T-bred...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hoborg

And that idiot is me. I was trying to turn my athlon XP into a mobile and then cut the L6's to unlock all the multipliers for powernow, as I read to do somewhere or other (lost the site...). So, I connected the 3rd L5 bridge using an exacto and pencil (not entirely sure if this worked, as I did this at the same time as cutting the L6's), and put a big exacto slash (or five) through the whole set of L6's. So, i figured, if that worked, then its a mobile XP with all the multipliers unlocked, and if it didn't work, then its the same as before.

upon booting up, its definetly not the same as before, but what the computer does is similar to what happens when I increase the FSB from 133 to 166 in the BIOS (which is that the monitor dosen't turn on, and the fans sort of lag for a bit a few seconds after the power is on). So, I figure that the problem is what I neglected to listen to on the site I read about this mod on - I have a fairly old MOBO, so it is taking the maximum multiplier now available (24x) and using the default FSB (100), and getting a clock speed that it can't handle. Therefore, I guess I want to close some of those L6's back up, right?

Soooo.. Is it probably possible to close those guys back up using a pencil or fancy conductive stuff? I've been sort of trying, but I'd like to know if there are any good tricks to re-closing bridges before I go messing it up further. Or should I just not bother, my problem is something that I totally screwed up, and I should just give up and buy a new processor..?

oh, also, could it be possible for this chip with all the L6's cut to work on a newer motherboard? I've been thinking about getting a new MOBO anyway, cause this guy only has 4x AGP.

he could be right about that.....

in any case.... it is odd that you can't even get into the BIOS...

you could try hotwirring the bridges with strands of copper wire

OK if all you have done is cut some bridges then it will be repairable by getting a hold of a conductive pen (a pencil wont work) and retracing the bridges you have broken. If the bridges have a pit between them (not sure if they do) then this will initially have to be filled with non conductive material. BTW welcome to the forums! I assume you have a superlocked Tbred?
Edit if you are looking for a more suitable multi - here is a thread which shows the entire L6 configurations for respective multis.
http://pub140.ezboard.com/fk7s5amotherboardforumfrm13.showMessage?topicID=393.topic

Last edited:
Yeah, it was onna them superlocked coated ones, pain in the arse. I'm starting to think theres something else that I messed up besides the cut bridges. If the L6 bridges were cut on a normal Athlon XP of which i didn't try to make it a Mobile, would it still screw up the multipliers? I thought that would just do nothing, and therefore if I re-cut the 3rd L5 bridge to make it no longer a mobile, then it shouldn't matter that the L6es are cut because they aren't used for anything. I tried that, but I still get the same problem..

I already ordered a 2400+ from newegg (which i will definetly not touch unless there is a way to unlock that dosent involve a knife =p...) to replace this 1800+ that i screwed up.. it would still be nice to fix, though. Are there any stores that sell that conductive stuff?

If u slashed through the bridges in one swipe, u killed the cpu, between the bridges there are traces, so no zorro style bridge cutting for u :D

if u pierced each one individually, put some insulating paint into the cuts, then scratch away with a neddle or very fine instrument the bridges, then using conductive paint and tape masks (scotch tape works best IMO) connect the bridges one by one.

also it will near impossible to turn off the mobile if you filled hte pit because it will be hell to get it out of the hole (should have insulated the pit, then scratched the bridges and connect, that way your can chisell off the mod with sone alcahol). Basically get a new mb that doesn't have "auto to L6 on POST" in it and then put the mobilized cpu in it.

Back