• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BuffaloTech DD4002-512/WC PC3200 in my LPII

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eltsdrac

Ok, I know I'm a NooB @ this and I've read a lot of posts here and learned a lot. I finally nutted up and laid out the dough for the DFI LPII and my XP-M 2500+. I couldn't find any BH-5 Winbond memory in my price range so I decided to buy 2 sticks of Buffalo Tech DD4002-512/WC, which according to Buffalo's website is Winbond CH-5, from NEWEGG for $105 a stick. I guess you could say I'm having buyers remorse. Do you think this memory will take say 230-240Mhz of FSB? I have a Thermalright ALX-800 w/ a Tornado and a Thermalright NB-1 active Northbridge cooler, as well as sinks for the MOSFETS. The case has 6 34CFM fans, 3 intakes and 3 exhausts, with a side cover intake and a top mounted blowhole. I hope this setup will keep it pretty cool so i can hit 10.5x240. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?

I guess you got a 50/50 chance, some people report their ch5 can't get to even 220 fsb and some are flying @ 250fsb, but in any case you must gave A LOT of voltage onto the ram to even have a chance, I would think 3.1 v is the minimum voltage required, but ch5 die FAST in high voltage.........

And yet did you have to volt mod your N7 to get that much VDIMM? The DFI's are good for 3.3v VDIMM w/o any mods, so I'm hoping the extra voltage gets me some more headroom. From what I've read and been told the sweet spot with CH-5 is 3.1-3.3v VDIMM.

But you better have some additional cooling for that ram with that voltage, that's very high for ch5.

My case has an intake in the side panel and I saw a flexible duct kit somewhere for an 80mm fan. I thought about directing the air(34 CFM) from the intake and pointing it to the ram. But then again what kind of obstruction is a 3" hose going to have on the airflow inside the case?

If you have reasonable case airflow I wouldn't worry about CH-5 overheating.

I've found my CH-5 to be by far the coolest DDR I've ever had. No heatsink/spreader and even @ 3.3v after hours of memtest/prime/games it's lukewarm at best. Can put my finger on it indefinitely. The dim mosfets and vreg get mucho hotter.

I have dual 120's on my heatercore (bottom front inside of case) so I have great airflow, Southbridge barely warm with 120 blowing right across it, and of course your mileage may vary.

I'm able to run 243Mhz 2-2-2-11 3.3v CPC OFF (kills performance).
Have kept it generally @ 225Mhz 2-3-2-11 3.1v CPC ON and this has proven 110% stable in BFV/memtest/prime95.

Just flashed the 217.b02 bios and am passing memtest @ 240Mhz 2-3-3-11 3.1v CPC ON now, which hasn't worked with other bios. Still testing daily for my best settings.

But I heard a lot of people losing their ch5 in high voltage after a few week because they "burned-out" their ch5.

Yeah but there is no telling what the actual "burn-out" circumstances were. Truly most mobo's can't provide more than 3.3v vdimm...hell most don't do over 3v...but there are too many factors like bad PLL's or MOSFETS and poor power regulation etc to say it was purely the voltage, especially as hot as ome people run the machines.

Back