• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

S-ATA Drive and HDD Light

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Freddie

S-ATA Drive Questions

Hi, i am currently putting my computer together i am using a ASUS A7N8X-e. My drives are a Maxtor 160gb 7,200 rpm 8mb cache S-ATA Hard Drive and a Samsung 52x24x52x16 CD-RW/DVD Drive. I almost forgot, at floppy dirve! Now i am not sure how to plug in the hard drive light. As i can plug it into the IDE channel thing so that it will light up when there is IDE Read/Write, but i am not sure where to plug it in to make it light up when my s-ata hard drive is in use. Thanks for all your help.

*EDIT*I have also been using the forum search and i have a few more questions. I will be using the S-ATA Drive as my boot drive, and i have been told that i need to set it as a SCSI drive, as far as booting goes. But i am not sure about setting up the RAID Array, i have been told that you have to set it up with one disk, but i am unclear on what i need to do to get it to work. I have also been told that when i installing windows (win xp pro btw) i have to do something to install the S-ATA drivers. What do i have to do as far as installing drivers in windows goes, i know that some comes in the drivers cd. Thanks for all of your help again, :)

Last edited:
Hey freddie, just the front panel connector cables in as normal, i.e in the normal IDE led connector on the mobo, if it doesn't light the first time, just switch it around, I hope this clears this up for you

:D

Yeh, i wil try it soon, i could not find a S-ATA one so i had an idea that i might plug it in to the IDE one, but i am not sure if it will work. There is only one place that i think that it will go into.

Madgeordie2004 said:
Hey freddie, just the front panel connector cables in as normal, i.e in the normal IDE led connector on the mobo, if it doesn't light the first time, just switch it around, I hope this clears this up for you

:D
You need to put your s-ata drivers on a floppy, and when you install windows xp press f6 when it asks you if you want to install a third party driver and follow the instructions

for the raid array, you only need this if you have at least to identical hard drives, so if your using one you don't need to use raid..

i hope this is ok for you..

Thanks, so let me get this right when i install win xp at the start i need to put in the floppy with my sata drivers and then press f6. I do not have the sata drivers, dfo you know where i can download them.

Freddie said:
Thanks, so let me get this right when i install win xp at the start i need to put in the floppy with my sata drivers and then press f6. I do not have the sata drivers, dfo you know where i can download them.

Freddie your sata drivers are on your mobo installation disk, open up explorer on your mobo installer disk, click into the drivers forlder, then click on sata folder copy everything onto a formatted floppy except the gui and linux folders, hope that helps

Okay, i copyed everything in the sata folder apart from the two folder and the readme and /pdf file. I did not make the floppy disk bootable.

Back