• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my fate sealed? (Glued heatsink)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kroax

Hi!

I am the happy (??) owner of a K7SOM+ motherboard. Just after I bought it I realised that it made a lot of noice and yet did not manage to stay cool enough (>75 C). It even turned itself of because it got so hot!! I bought a Arctict Cooling to remedy the problem. It turned out there was more to remedy. Alas, poor me, the heatsink seems to be glued to the processor!

What can I do? I have tried to use ethanol to dissolve the glue so that the heatsink can e removed, it was done in vain, the heatsink is still there...

Please, please help me, I can not use a computer that sounds like a tornado at its best and tuns itself off at its best.

//Kroax

might try freezing it. I did this to get the hs off of my radeon video card. Just be sure to put inside a sealed plastic bag

My axp1800+ had the same problem but it wasn't glue it was the thing that comes with the hsf to cool better, what I had to do was to turn off the pc and get the hsf out while it was hot.

your board is the one with onboard CPU correct? If so the HSF might actually be glued on. PLease check and look careful you dont want to ripp the cpu off.

You can seal the board in a anti-static bag. Put it in a frezzer for 30min-1h then the HSF can be taken out.

Back