• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HyperX4000 = Junk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MitchV

I bought a stick of this to see if I could OC my FSB a little faster than my Corsair PC3200 BH-6 memory.

Even with the stock timings on this memory, I couldn't get it to run as fast as it's SUPPOSED to run!

My BH-6 memory runs fine synchronously at 2-2-11 @200Mhz. I think it's rated at 2-3-6 at 200Mhz..

The Kingston memory was supposed to run at much looser timings up to 500Mhz. I've been able to push my CPU (Mobile 2500) much further with my Corsair memory. I wanted to see what my processor would do with looser timings... the only thing I learned was that Kingston HyperX4000 isn't nearly as good as the memory I already had. It didn't even run as fast as it was rated for me.

Maybe I just got a bad stick /shrug

I was reading a review where that stuff would take a performance hit on more than 2.8V So if youy wnet and jacked to 3.3 just to see how far it would go, then maybe that is your problem, this stuff don't like volts.

I tried just about everything including stock and increased voltage. I knew I was in trouble when I booted up to the default memory speeds and even with the default timings I couldn't get much more than 200Mhz. My machine would randomly reboot.

I popped my Corsair memory back in, tightened the timings, and viola... things were better.

It's no biggie. I'm returning the memory because it simply doesn't run for me as specified. It's not my MB or CPU because they work fine with my Corsair memory (prime95 tested).

Maybe I just got a bad stick, but I think I'll stick with Corsair going forward. Corsair's memory has always worked well for me.

Back