• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A7V8X-X crashes with more than 256MB PC3200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funzie

So my new PC3200 memory came in. Two sticks of 256MB DDR400 PC3200 Dual Channel DDR. After about 5 minutes of XP booting up it just restarts. However if I only use one stick of 256MB it works great. I have tried different settings, like modifying the speed to match the CPU, and such. Suggestions?

Specs:
MB - Barton 2500
CPU - A7V8X-X
Vid Card - ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
HD - WD2500JB
Need more info? just ask.

Yes, I decided to move them around one in bank 1 and another in bank 3, it did not crash, a few minutes ago I decided to put in the third one in bank 2, and not crashes yet. Gonna leave Prime95 overnight and see what happends.

I'm still running 1 stick of 512MB PC2700 in bank one and two sticks of 256MB PC3200 in banks 2 and 3 on my X-X. Runs just fine.

What's your bios?

I would recommend disabling first OS/2 Onboard Memory > 64MB

Second, put Plug and Play O/S at 'no'

on the X-X, i've had just these two options screw so many things up, and not to mention the Plug and Play OS option slows the entire machine down, a lot of you might know.

funzie said:
Yes, I decided to move them around one in bank 1 and another in bank 3, it did not crash, a few minutes ago I decided to put in the third one in bank 2, and not crashes yet. Gonna leave Prime95 overnight and see what happends.

It's funny that after I get it working people start replying.

funzie said:

It's funny that after I get it working people start replying.

OMG I know how to fix this problem!!!!!11

So what did you do to fix it? I have the same board and i figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to know.

Quick question. I thought that board had memory restrictions? 3 x DDR DIMM Sockets
Max. 3 GB unbuffered *PC3200 /PC2700/PC2100/PC1600 non-ECC SDRAM Memory
(Note: PC3200 Max. to 2 banks only; PC2700 Max. to 4 banks only. how did u get around it?

The board has only three banks, so its not going to be possible to put in 4 PC2700 sticks. So I payed no attention to it. Just set the ram to match the CPU bus speed, my case 333 since ive got a Barton 2500

Back