• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S Temperatures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wizdon

Registered
What are the CPU temperature sensors like on the Abit NF7-S? I only ask because when I switched motherboards (from a Gigabyte) I noticed that my reported temperatures went up a considerable amount. I'm not alarmed, they are still reasonably low, but I'd like to know if they are overreporting or just giving me a reality check:p.

On an unrelated note; anybody know why there is an ATX12v connection on the motherboard? It's in the shape of a square, 2x2, and just above the regular ATX power connector, if you're wondering. For a week I ran the board without a hitch before I noticed that wasn't connected. I gathered it wasn't necessary, but I connected it anyway. The board didn't catch fire, so I figure it isn't doing any harm, but I'm very curious anyway!

Cheers,
Clayton.

I would guess that the NF7-S is overreporting. It tends to do that. As long as it's not giving you temps in the 60's or anything and the CPU is stable, then you're fine.

The extra ATX connector provides additional voltage for the motherboard on the 12v rail. Makes things a little more stable, and also gives you options like powering on from the keyboard, waking on alarm, etc.

Yes I notice that my +12v is nice and stable at 11.98v.

However, my VCore is all over the place: 1.57 to 1.62. This hasn't affected my stability yet, but it's alarming nevertheless. I have noticed that many people cool their mosfets. Is that likely to help in my case? - I'm currently running a fairly low clock speed; just 1820Mhz (1800+), while I wait for my 2800Barton and RAM to be delivered.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Clayton.

Yeah, the main point of cooling your mosfets is to keep that fluctuation at a minimum. If it's one of the newer NF7-S's, it might not help as much. It's still worth a try though.

If you don't want to heatsink them, putting a fan over the area helps too. Heatsinks and a fan did a very good job for me.

that 4 pin power connector thing was actually something that intel had to implement for the P4 because it sucked soo much power. A few smart motherboard makers realized that most power supplies had them, and decided why not use them on amd boards as well. And there is your random useless trivia for the day ;)

Back