• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I just ordered some ram anyone know if its good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The write-ups at TigerDirect leave me wondering a little bit ... it says the timings are 2-2-2-6 T1, but in the write-up it says:

All ULTRA overclocking memory modules deliver sub five nanosecond access times, and have been 100% tested and verified to operate at 400MHz in high-performance KT-400, NVIDIA nForce 2, SIS655 and P4X400 motherboards (with CL2 latency). Conclusive benchmark tests have been conducted with multiple chipsets, CPUs and motherboards, your assurance of highest possible speed and uncompromising compatibility.

All ULTRA overclocking memory modules feature integrated aluminum heat spreaders for optimum thermal dispersion and increased performance. Of course, you'll enjoy a lifetime limited warranty. Looking to the future of high-speed memory, ULTRA memory is SPD programmed at emerging JEDEC values for PC3200 rating.
-----

So if it's SPD programmed at 3200 speeds, and they only tested it at 400Mhz, I'm not sure how to verify that these things actually do 2-2-2-6 at 434Mhz (PC3500) speeds.

Another interesting ad was this one: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicati...ils.asp?EdpNo=520709&Sku=74860-4914&CatId=558

The writeup on that was the same, essentially, except for this set of PC3500, they said they tested it at 333Mhz and it was SPD programmed at PC2700 speeds.

Just makes me a little leary ...

i noticed all the write ups for almost all ram products dont make too much sense but when u look at the details they say 2-2-2-6 so im betting thats what they do if they dont i can just send them back right ? :)

Im just crossing my fingers hoping they work good :) for the price even if it runs at 2-3-2-6 ill be glad thats 84 bucks canadian i cant find any ram at that rating under 150 for 256 megs stick :) so i baught 2 of them :)

Here is a link to an review that flapperhead found on this ram when someone else asked about a month ago.

The review is a year old (April 2003) so it may or maynot be accurate anymore.

A year ago the Ultra PC3500 in this review had Winbond BH5 chips. No telling what it has now, however, it seems possible that this is old stock because I don't think that Tigerdirect is where most people go to buy OC memory so you may actually have found another previously unknown hoard.

Here is the link to the review:

http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/memory/ultra_products/index.htm

Last edited:
Just wanted to add a comment about the write ups on Tigerdirect which is that I've seen alot of them crossed up between various products, you know, like they use a template and then don't proof read the revisions. Another thing, the Tigerdirect (US) site has this RAM at $60 for the 256 and $120 for the 512, with the disclaimer "available while supplies last". That disclaimer almost makes me think that these could very well be Winbond based. The more I think about it, the more tempted I am to give it a try. I would love to have a gig of BH-5, or even BH-6, for that matter. I already have 4 x 256 of the Kingston HyperX "non A" which is BH-5, but I sure would like to be able to grab a set of 2 x 512. The problem is, like a lot of other people, I've already got a bunch of dollars tied up in RAM. I am trying to decide whether to buy this stuff and then if its BH-5, maybe sell off some of the other RAM or just fight the urge and be happy with what I've got. One thing is for sure, there won't be too many more chances to buy Winbond and it would suck to just watch it go by.

I wonder if banks loan money to buy RAM? After all, BH-5 is a collectible, right?

Last edited:
i called ultra's tech support about a month ago inquiring about the memory, they called back but i wasnt in so i didnt pursue it.
they seem like a decent company dedicated to breaking in to the specialty market with performance ram. being that bh5 is long gone and bh6 is so expensive, this pc3200 is probably ch5. however its still cheap and some of the newer ch5 has been oc'ing real well.

A quick follow up on this RAM, just in case anyone is interested.

This morning I spoke with a fellow named Scott who is part of Ultra's Memory Support staff. I asked him if all of the Ultra OC PC3500 was made with BH-5, like the sample reviewed by ClubOverclocker or if other chips were used. He was a real nice guy and was very upfront. He said that Ultra used other chips, including Samsung, on their PC3500 and that his best guess was that there was still some of the BH-5 based ram in inventory, but not much. He figured your chances of getting BH-5 chips were about 1 in 10.

I then asked him about the low advertised timings at places like TigerDirect and he said that they had nothing to do with it and in fact, they had communicated with TD about it being incorrect but as long as some of it was still BH-5, there wasn't much that they could do to force TD to change their product description. I don't know how true that part is, but the bottom line is that you could get lucky and get BH-5, but the odds are not in your favor. Not only might you not get BH-5, but you might not even get Winbond chips at all.

Spydeymon, hope you're the lucky one out of the ten. Keep us posted.

Man i hope its good stuff do u think i should cancel the order? i might get stuck with crap ram ?
and if its some samsung ram what timings can i expect out of it lets say i just do 200 fsb u think 2-2-2 -11 would work ?
thanks for finding that stuff out your great man.

Spydeymon,

Cancel and buy this. Based on the linked Xtreme Forums thread and the linked Winbond listing, your stand a real good chance of getting BH-5, if not, then BH-6, or CH-5, any of which I think would work better for you than the Ultra alternatives. It is priced at $215 (US) a gig for Kingston HyperX in the 2 x 512 kit, which is cheaper than the Ultra (about $240 a gig), if you can believe that??? The individual KHX sticks are $81 for the 256 and $114 for the 512. The 256 of Ultra is a little cheaper ($60), but the 512 Ultra ($120) also costs more than the Kingston. If you go this route, based on the Xtreme thread, you should order from ZIPZOOMFLY (or from NEWEGG) to improve your chances of BH-5. See page #4 of the thread, it is real current and it has a picture of some PRETTY BH-5!!! This is a GREAT DEAL for a GIG OF HYPERX WITH WINBOND CHIPS in my opinion. I ordered two gigs last night and waited until this morning to post, just to give myself a little head start on you guys:) Hope you understand.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?postid=402392

http://pub.lorenz.bei.t-online.de/winbondlist.htm

Product link at ZZF:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80088-22

If Tiger balks, ***** about the advertised timings and just tell them YOU are the one that spoke with Scott at Ultra. Worst case, RMA if it is not Winbond because of timings not holding up.

im gonna tough it out and see if its bh-5 or something decent if i cant hit 2-2-2-6 at 400 mhz when they say 2-2-2-6 at 433 mhz i will rma them do u think i will have a problem rma'ing them ? and would i get my money back if i rma or do i have to buy something else?
and i cant order from newegg i would have got the mushkin 2-2-2 speacial but they dont deliver to canada :(

spydeymon said:
im gonna tough it out and see if its bh-5 or something decent if i cant hit 2-2-2-6 at 400 mhz when they say 2-2-2-6 at 433 mhz i will rma them do u think i will have a problem rma'ing them ? and would i get my money back if i rma or do i have to buy something else?
and i cant order from newegg i would have got the mushkin 2-2-2 speacial but they dont deliver to canada :(

I've RMA'd with Tiger Direct. In my case it was a motherboard I had replaced, but I'm pretty sure they would have given my money back if I had asked for it. You should call and ask though. If they say they won't let you return it for cash, then you may want to think about canceling the order, if it's not too late.

RideGuy

PS - Who is that hottie in your avatar? :drool:

That chick is rachel reynolds from the price is right :)
fhm.com :) shes soo hoooooooooooooot :)
im gonna try calling them nowi think.

well i just spoke to someone at td.ca and they told me if the memeory isnt 2-2-2-6 i can return it for a full refund so i might as well try it out they might have old stock :) and its bh-5 !!!!!! :)

Back