• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AthlonXP 2200+ Ep 8KHA+... HELP!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Teasy

I just bought a Athlon XP 2200+ from ebay. I'm upgrading from a Athlon T-Bird 1.4ghz on a Epox 8KHA+ Revision 2.0 motherboard.

Anyway I put in the Athlon XP today and the system powers up but stops and doesn't display anything.

I tried reseting the C-MOS and also setting the FSB jumper on the mobo to 133MHZ just incase. Still the same, the system powers up but doesn't post.

I had this exact same problem 6 months ago when I bought an Athlon XP. At the time I assumed the XP was broken and just sent it back and got my money back (had a change of heart on the whole upgrade). But it can't be that two different Athlon XP's are broken. So there must be another reason.

My mobo supports the XP Thoroughbred right up to 2600+, and it works fine with my T-Bird. The only other thing I could think of was the BIOS. So I got the newest BIOS from the Epox site and flashed the board. Still exactly the same problem.

This really makes no sense to me. How in the world can this motherboard not work with this CPU if it supports it and is clearly working with another CPU??

Anyone have any idea's?

Strange. I've used the 8KHA+ with a Tbird, a Palomino, and an A and B-core Tbreds without any problems at all...

When it powers up, try holding down the insert key and pressing the reboot button while holding the insert key down...

Flash to the newest BIOS. You will have to put that Tbird back into do it.

That should do it. I have a barton running now in an 8KHA+ 2.0

cV

When it powers up, try holding down the insert key and pressing the reboot button while holding the insert key down

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that.

{PMS}fishy

Flash to the newest BIOS. You will have to put that Tbird back into do it.

I tried flashing to the newest bios on the Epox site. Which was 8KHI3916.BIN. Didn't make any difference. Do I need a newer BIOS?

That should do it. I have a barton running now in an 8KHA+ 2.0

Really? I had heard that the Thoroughbred core was the newest that the 8KHA+ supported. If I'd known it could support a Barton I would have bought one :) Ah well never mind, at least I know I can upgrade again in the future (if I ever get this to work anyway...)

It is possible that the guy on ebay ripped you off, and you could have gotten 2 dud cpu's. Stranger things have happened. Do you have a 2nd or 3rd system to pop it in and try it out?

Also, how much did you pay for that cpu?

Hello Yuriman

I the first XP I bought was from a different person 6 months ago. When it didn't work I just got a refund. So the two XP T-Bred CPU's I've tried with this board are from two different people and bought 6 months appart.

I bought the CPU for £30.

Back