• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mobile 2500+ Barton on a Abit KR7A? (or any barton on any KT266A chipset?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

will_maltby

I'm thinking about getting a mobile athlon XP 2500+ Barton and running it on me ole Abit KR7A mobo. This is the KT266A chipset.

Obviously the chip isn't officially supported, but I've read people claim a 2500+ M does indeed run on a KR7A.

Currently I have a 2400 Thoroughbred running on it with no probs (also a chip that is 'officially' not supported).

So I was just wondering, can anybody here confirm that it is at all possible?

Anyone got any Barton running on any Kt266A mobo?

Thanks in advance for any info :)

I got a Thoroughbred running on a (officially) Palomino only board. I spent a lot of time trying to make it work.

Then I found out the hard way that when they say that particular core is not officially supported, they don't (just) mean "you can't boot with it."

Yeah you may get it to work but numerous problems down the road will make you regret the time you spent doing it.

I'm not just saying that, I actually went through this so if the mobo web site says a particular CPU core is not supported, get another mobo, it's cheaper when you look at the number of problems you will face if you don't.

Thankyou bleagh, that was just the info I needed! Greatly appreciated. :)

Yeah, I'm expecting to have to pin mod it to get the higher multipliers for higher clocking.

Back