• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heating Cooling industry guys ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neco

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me a nice round estimate of current prices on having a window A/C unit looked at ? Is it dependant on local area prices or is there a pretty even price line across the country ?

Likewise, if it turns out the unit needs to be recharged or something, how much does that usually run ?

I really think this window unit I have is not "All there" so to speak.. It came with the house and the first summer it worked great, even my windows somewhat frosted over/fogged up and the room was pretty cool.

But the last summer it was just not working as well as I expected..Didn't seem to cool as well, and sometimes it would even be warmer in the room than the rest of the house.

I am posting this Q in Extreme Cooling, cause I figured you guys would know best, heh...

it sounds like it has a slow leak, the r134a (I hope to god it isnt r12) is probably very slowly esacaping.

Well this air conditioner is not by any means new.. Its definitely one of those very old good ones that can really chill a room up.

So I don't really think its an issue of a slow leak, maybe just age over time.. I have it in the window all year round and aint dead yet, lol.

try cleaning the dirt out of the condensor, over the years the dust biulds up and air flow is reduced.

if it needs recharging it would would probly be cheaper to buy a new unit. ive seen 5200btu units going for under 100.00.

Yea I bought one last summer when this one started not working so well.

It was worse. The room wqs the rated size and it only took the temp down a few degrees. I also cleaned this one out last summer. Sprayed it down with the hose and whatnot, cause I thought maybe it wasn't draining properly and was freezing up, but that didn't solve much.

If I pick up a new unit, its gonna be at least 8,000 BTU. Just hope I don't have to.. Would rather save that money.

Back