• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newbie having problems with a amd 2500xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

techbota

Registered
My system is a
amd 2500
msi kt6 delta MB
1X512 unknown ddr pc3200
Geforce 4 4600ti 4x agp
XP pro
AMI bios
2 case fans in and 2 blowing out
Some big A$$ copper heat sink with a unknown fan running at 4900 rpm on top...lol

I wanted to see what it would do so I read about OC cpus some today and thought I would try. Some folks are reporting up to 3200 speeds with low temps.

My multiplyer is locked! So I uped my FSB from 166 to 176.

Ran some SYSOFT burnins at got the temps to 58c
15 minutes of UT2k4 and I was at 64 c

It was stable for about a hour so I thought I would pump it up some more so I tried a jump to 190! Well it didnt like that much and I had to clear my cmos. (black screen)

My voltage is set at 1.650

If I up that will it allow me to work that FSB up?

Will doing that increase my temp by too much do you think???

Any info would be great...thanks.

PS with normal clocks my temps are average 54degrees with no load.

I was llooking around the internet and my heatsink LOOKS like the sk7. I had the computer guy in my area build it for me. He said the heat sink waqs giving him good results. I dont remeber the name of it. They did use thermal paste. Im thinking of taking the heat sink off and lapping it but its copper and I dont really know if lapping is necassary for copper heat sinks.

Plus im kinda scared to remove the heatsink as I heard CPU's crack super easy.

how trustworty is this heatsink maker you speak of?

i was a complete noob when i took hs of my celeron 800, and have been taking hs's and wb's on and off since then. there's nothing to be afraid of, they don't crack "super easily."

anyway, you might want to try a brand name heatsink, and see how it compares.

also, you can lap ANY heatsink. and it doesn't matter what material it is, (copper, aluminum), it may need lapping. a smooth aluminum surface is better than a heavily scratched copper surface.... i think. anyway,

those are high temps. i wouldn't run my cpu above 50 degrees, but that's just me, and i built myself a watercooler. even on air, i didn't go that high.

go to compusa, circuitcity, best buy, etc, and get a brand name heatsink, try it out, and see if that guy is a quack, or the real deal.

:)

Yeah, your temps are a little high. A SLK900A should solve the problem though :D

Also, the cpu cores do crack if you apply too much pressure. However, I've pulled off/put on HSF's and WB's alot and NEVER cracked or chipped a core. On a dead cpu (My friend tried to run it without a HS), I took a HS and pushed down until I broke it. Believe me, it took a LOT of force to crack that thing.

Well the comp is pretty new so it shouldnt be stuck I hope.

As for the temps my 1800 in my other machine has ALWAYS ran in the 60's Celsius range. Seriously for like 2-2.5 years! I played TUNS of UT with it as well and never had a problem. But the more I talk to people the more they say these are hot temps so Im kinda confused.

As we speak right now this comp is 54/42....42 being the case temp and my girlfriends, which is my old 1800 is 64/38!!!!

Thats kinda wierd though that her case temp is less than mine and I have over twice the fans but the cpu temp on hers is higher?????

Does best buy carry top of the line HS and fans???

Do they make a 7500 rpm CPU fan as I dont think it would be much noisier than my 6 fans already!

When I take the HS off should I run the comp a minute first to warm it up or do it cold??

Thaks for all the help!

My favorite place to shop for hardware is www.newegg.com because of their prices and return policy. Grab a thermalright heatsink, they are the best. Also, 42c case temp?! My case is at 28c right now, and my room temp is probably about 27. You probably need more ventilation. Im using an Ak-7 right now, with a 20cfm fan(realy slow, silent), and im getting 48c full load, and I idle in the low 30's.

What do you use to clean the old grease off the CPU.....iso alc???

Oh one more thing...To see if I have my fans set up right....

I have
one in the front blowing into the case
One in the top blowing into the case
One in the back blowing OUT the case
The PS fan is blowing out the back as well

I got to thinking as heat rises should the one on the top be blowing out instead of pushing hot air back down???

Keep in mind that all temp measurements are relative. Different motherboards - indeed, even the same model but different boards - may measure actual temperatures at varied levels. In fact, few motherboards report temperatures accurately.

However, most sensors DO act in a linear fashion. An improvement of 5C is good no matter what the starting temp is. Improved goop selection, lapping, and a better heat sink will all assist in lowering temps.

Finally, some CPUs just naturally run hot. I had a 1.2 Athlon that consistently ran at about 65-68C no matter what mobo I put it in. It always ran just fine, though, even when nominally overclocked.

Dave
[email protected]

Techbota,
You may want to consider reversing your top fan. One reason is that you'll get a lot more dust blowing air in that way.

You mentioned that Heat rises and thats true. If the air were moving a lot slower or if your case were much, much bigger (like the size of a room), that would make a difference but the air in computer cases is much too transient to build up any kind of thermal stratification. For that reason, it is not very important to vent out the top just because heat tends to rise.

That being said, there is a better reason to blow out the top rather than into the case. Blowing air into the case can actually heat up the ambient temp of the case. Here's why: when you blow air into a space, you build a high-pressure cell. Pressurized air is just regular air but with the molecules more densely packed. A dense medium is capable of retaining more heat than a less dense one. This is why you don't want to pressurize your case.

AMD's site makes some recommendations about the arrangement of fans. I was surprised to learn that they warned against setting up a fan to blow air into the front of the case. (I realize your question has to do with the fan at the top of the case but the principle is the same.) AMD said that such a configuration is not beneficial to airflow and can actually raise ambient case temps.

I didn't believe it. I had to try it myself. I used two fans side-by-side to blow air into the case and two exhausting air out the back. In addition, my PSU has a fan on the bottom, exhausting air from the neighborhood of the CPU and another fan in the back. In all of my trials, my case temperature under load was 7 to 10 degrees F higher than when I had no fan there at all.

The upshot of this rather long explanation is that computer case fans are really meant for exhausting the hot air in your case. As long as the openings for air intace are not blocked, the air will flow just fine if you use that top fan for exhaust (blowing out.)

That fan on the front, sucking air into the case is probably not doing you much (if any good). I'd be interested to see what ambient case temperatures you notice once you reverse that one as well as the top fan and maybe you'll want to compare that result with whatever you get with that intake fan removed. Hope you keep us posted.

Oh, one addendum to that message: the time I did get favorable results regarding air intake mods was with a duct in the side-panel allowing my old Thermaltake Orb to suck fresh air in from the outside (not having been warmed by the other components of the system. My duct was made from a 7-11 cup cut to cover the top inch or so of the HSF. Oh, it was ghetto but very effective. My temps were down 15-20 degrees F. Hope that helps.

Wow I wouldve never guessed that I shouldnt have any fans sucking air into the case! I will change all fans to blow OUT tonight. I have been contemplating busting out my unused dremet and making a side blow hole on my weekend!!!

I also think I will make the jump and pull my first heat sink off tommorrow which is my saturday:)

Im scared but hopefully I wont put the screw driver through the board!

PS other than a cup do they sell a kit to provide air to the cpu???

A solution that is less ugly than a soft drink cup, that is available at your local hardware store is a short piece of flexible ventilation tube. Normally, these are used to vent hot air from clothes. I used one of those for a while but I prefered the smooth sides of the cup to the corrugated flex-tube. Better for airflow.

I didn't have a window in my side panel so it didn't matter to me how it looked.

As far as a kit goes, I've seen nothing aftermarket. Although, ducting is the basic principle Compaq and Dell use in thier little machines. Usually they're pretty sparse on fans but there's this plastic airflow channel that makes sure that the fan pulls air over all the MOBO's warm parts. So the concept exists. Yeah, there's looks better than a 7-11 cup, but mine ran cooler.

Good luck on the HSF replacement.

-Fortune

techbota said:
Wow I wouldve never guessed that I shouldnt have any fans sucking air into the case! I will change all fans to blow OUT tonight. I have been contemplating busting out my unused dremet and making a side blow hole on my weekend!!!

I also think I will make the jump and pull my first heat sink off tommorrow which is my saturday:)

Im scared but hopefully I wont put the screw driver through the board!

PS other than a cup do they sell a kit to provide air to the cpu???

The best is having slightly more intake airflow than exhaust--i.e. you have two fans intaking in the front and one exhausting the back, not including the PSU fans for our purposes.

ThermalTake does make a duct kit IIRC, but I don't remember where I saw it. I'll do some looking for you.

As for taking off the heatsink, if you're concerned, go to AMD's website. They have all sorts of howtos. :cool:

OK I lapped the heat sink to a mirror finish (almost) and used artic silver.

I added a pci fan and was able to keep temps with no load in the 46/36

I have a over clock at 176fsb and no load temps at 47/37

Now let me get this right. Your saying to have more fans facing inward then out???

The guy above said NO fans facing inward???

What is the best way???? I got a helicopter next to me and not good case temps???

***** I bought a shire super rock heat sink and fan and now my temps are higher....wtf am I to do!!!!!

Back