• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can u use 2 diff brand names for dual channel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

poohbear

Registered
hey all,

I've been meaning to upgrade to 1 gig of ram and run em in dual channel but ram prices have skyrocketed. However, i've managed to find one stick KINGSTON HYPERX PC3500 512MB CAS 2-3-3-7 selling for cheaaap, so i'm thinking if i buy it and throw it in w/ my ocz 3500el, which also does 2-3-3-7, they should get along fine w/ dual channel enabled, unless i'm missing somethin? I know i can expect a drop in my fsb overclock, but do u guys think they'll atleast work together?

The hyperx3500 are ch5 ramchips and i believe the ocz 3500el are as well. I was initially gonna buy another 512mb 3500el OCZ stick, but all stores sell em for $240+ (cdn), so u gotta make due w/ what u find.

Thnx in advance for any feedback.

thnx, but please confirm, u have 'em running in dual channel mode? Dual channel is apparently very finicky and picky in its ram mate.:(

Edit: your mobo does'nt run em in dual-channel.:eek:

It isn't recommended to overclock either, yet many do. ;)

The best results when running in dual channel seem to come from sticks from the same company but it CAN work.......

I have a pair of matched sticks in my Epox 8RDA+ running now, but I have had mis-matched sticks as well.

My Biostar based system has a pair from one company and a third stick not only from a different company but of a different speed rating!
256 PC2700 (x2)
256 PC3200

Runs just fine.

But you take a chance trying it.

hmmm, i think i'll give it a shot as i'll be saving quite a bit if i buy the hyperx. If it does'nt work out i can sell the 3500 hyperx near its retail price and make back most of my money (espcially w/ ram prices the way they are now).

Thnx for replies fellas.

BOOYEAH!!!! i got my 3500 kingston hyperx today, popped it into dimm2 (the ocz 3500el is in dimm3), booted up and NO PROBS!!!! Got a great deal on that kingston ram that i know i won't be seeing again ($180!). Dual Channel is working fine w/ 2 different brands w/ no errors in p95 or memtest. And i can still maintain my fsb overclock of 220, so i'm happy.

So there ya go, if u ever worry about dual channel w/ different brand names (or without a dc kit!) then u have first hand evidence that it'll work. :cool:

poohbear said:
BOOYEAH!!!! i got my 3500 kingston hyperx today, popped it into dimm2 (the ocz 3500el is in dimm3), booted up and NO PROBS!!!! Got a great deal on that kingston ram that i know i won't be seeing again ($180!). Dual Channel is working fine w/ 2 different brands w/ no errors in p95 or memtest. And i can still maintain my fsb overclock of 220, so i'm happy.

So there ya go, if u ever worry about dual channel w/ different brand names (or without a dc kit!) then u have first hand evidence that it'll work. :cool:

Thing is, lots of others HAVE had trouble.

Always got to remember that doing such things is a gamble- sometimes you win, and sometimes not.

Glad it worked out for you though.

Back