• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just Started on my Water Chiller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lotec25

Hey,

I just got started on my water chiller I got a few pics. Ill keep you all posted as i go. Hope you guys enjoy. Please let me know what you all think.

Lotec25

Attachments

• apr17029.jpg
    apr17029.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,371
Here is another one

Attachments

• apr17030.jpg
    apr17030.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 1,354
here is one more

Attachments

• apr17033.jpg
    apr17033.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,348
and one more. Ill post more as i go along.

Attachments

• apr17035.jpg
    apr17035.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,334
So what is the unit in the first two picts? I see the rad and would assume it is a compressor/rad of some type. Any specs?

How do the parts go together for those of us not familar with chillers? :D

Deeppow yes it is a compressor. I bought a cheap fridge last weekend at a yard sale for 15 dollars. The specs on it are about 1amp and about a can of r134a. From what everyone has said it should get around -10C to -20C with the CPU running at around 0C.

As for puting it together. I started with the fridge and took the compressor, evaporator and all of the parts off of it. I purchased a Cooler form on of the local stores it holds 34.2 liters. I got a small shelf from BigLots to put the Compressor and all of the parts in. Ill take my water pump out of my case and it will be submerged in the cooler with the evaporator and ill run a line to my CPU block. And the return line will come from the VGA block. back to the cooler to get cold again. I hope this explains some of it. Ill post more pics as it goes.

Lotec25

here is a newer pic. I got some more ill post later.

Lotec25

Attachments

• apr17036.jpg
    apr17036.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 1,291
Lotec25 said:
Deeppow yes it is a compressor. I bought a cheap fridge last weekend at a yard sale for 15 dollars. The specs on it are about 1amp and about a can of r134a. From what everyone has said it should get around -10C to -20C with the CPU running at around 0C.

Yes, thanks for the update.

Are you going to run at those temps? I would have thought running at a temp above the dew point would have eliminated condensation but at those temps you'll have to deal with it. What are your plans in that regard? :)

insulation and more insulation. I have attached a pic of the hose insulation. As for the blocks i am going to use one of the sleeping mats that campers use, I seem to have an abandance of them LOL. The hoses will be ran into the back of the Comp threw the PCI slots that i am going to remove. I also picked up some Dielectric grease and also some CRC, witch is an electric lubricant that stops moisture. The Dieelectric grease will be put on both the CPU and the VGA block to stop moister. The spray will be used on my Video card, I am going to spray the back side so that if condensation does occur and drips it will not harm the Video card.

Let me know if there is anything else i can let you guys know. Also give me some comments on what all of you think please.

Lotec25

Attachments

• apr17034.jpg
    apr17034.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 1,278
here are a few more pictures.

Lotec25

Attachments

• apr18045.jpg
    apr18045.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1,255
Lotec this thing is gonna be awesome! looking real good so far. I think this stuff may be a little out of me league though. Think I will stick to the water cooled stuff for awhile. keep on keepin us updated :)

Thanks for the reply Maximus_OC I did not get much done this evening because my wife had some friends over. So when i get back from the doctor tommorow ill get back to it.

Lotec25

The can contains CRC witch is an electric lubricant that stops moisture. it will be used on teh Video card to stop moisure from harming it.

Lotec25

Hey,

I got the liquid in it. The water is geeting cold. Ill stick a temp gage in it soon. I post a pic of it i should have it up and running soon. I have to take the MOBO out and preety much strip the machine.

Lotec25

Attachments

• apr25001.jpg
    apr25001.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,116
Looking good so far man, really profesional and clean :D .

I got a couple of questions:
1. What size of fridge did you pull that out of? Was it a mini fridge or a full sized one?

2. How loud is the compresor and fan when it is running to cool the water?

3. How long does it take to bring the solution down the optimal temp if its been off for a while?

4. I dont know if you have it set-up yet but what temps are you seeing at your proc?

I want to do something vary similar this summer either with a mini-fridge compresor similar to what you have or an air conditioner compressor. The Air conditioner would allow me to reach lower temps but I want to be able to keep costs/noise down and I think I can get a mini fridge for free :D.

Anyway your project is looking awsome man, your making me jealous. Keep us updated!

Ad Rock,

It came out of a mini fridge it holds about 1 can of 134a.

The compressor and fan are not loud actually i can not hear it at all. What i do is feel the heat it does get hot until i gets the water cooled down and then it levels off.

I do not have it set up yet. I am waiting on my pump i decided to get a bigger pump to make it easier it should be here in a few days and i will get it up and running. This evening i am on my way to home depot to pick up a thermometer so i will give yea some reading on how cold it is geeting the water to. I let it run for about 2 hours and it was cold but i did not have a way to check it. Ill let yea know soon.

If yea want to know anyting else let me know

Lotec25

Back