• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Oc!! Screenshots!! How'd I Do?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

darkjedi

Registered
here's the results of my first OC on my 2500 mobile on nf7-s

currently at 200x12 @ 1.6vcore.. don't know how to test for stability so just using the PC til i see a problem...

any recommendations / advice??

cpuz1.JPG

cpuz2.JPG

temps.JPG

thanks!!

-tawheed

Test for stability by running a program called Prime95. That will stress test your system, plus you'll be able to see what kind of temperatures you are hitting under a full load. But if you're at 34.5C idle at 1.6v, I'd venture to say you've probably got a good little bit of more headroom, depending on your cooling, so keep crankin' her. :) Just make sure you keep a close eye on your temps.

Also, it would be a good idea to post the rest of your system as well for those looking to give advice on what other steps to take ... so RAM type, heatsink, fan, power supply, etc.

okay now im bit, just upped it a bite more, 200x12.5 at 1.675vcore

running 35.5c idle

rest of system includes

antec 350w pwr sply
vantec va7040 hsf
2x512 kingston valueram
2 80mm blow case fans

darkjedi said:
okay now im bit, just upped it a bite more, 200x12.5 at 1.675vcore

running 35.5c idle

rest of system includes

antec 350w pwr sply
vantec va7040 hsf
2x512 kingston valueram
2 80mm blow case fans

Id bet alotta money that isnt prime stable for more than 2 hours.

Well, we'll just have to see, but before pushing it anymore, darkjedi, get yourself a copy of Prime95 and start running the torture test. Run it for a while and keep an eye on your temperatures. If it's running and not giving you errors, and it's not going over 45C on load for now (you can run these chips higher, depending on how comfortable you feel, but 45C should be a very safe temperature to try and keep your max at for now), let Prime95 run for 12 to 24 hours. If you can make it that long without it giving any errors, then consider yourself 100% stable, and start pushing it some more.

Just keep a very close eye on your temperatures. Check your bios and see what the warning and shutoff temps for the CPU are, too. I've seen some other people around here setting them for 60C warning, 70C shutoff ... you might even do a 65C if you just want to be safe.

Nice CPU o/c so far but first thing I would want is to lower those memory timings. Even if it means buying new, but for an AMD lower timings is a must. Keep it up.

wannaoc said:
Nice CPU o/c so far but first thing I would want is to lower those memory timings. Even if it means buying new, but for an AMD lower timings is a must. Keep it up.

lower memory timings?? how do I accomplish that? =]

thanks!

-Tawheed

[folding commercial]

For 24x7 stability testing, look into the folding@home team 32 section of the forums. It puts your processor to 100% all the time and uses the power to find cures for cancer and stuff. Check it out!

[/folding commercial]

I'm very suprised that a lot of you are requesting Prime 95 for stability.

I for one think that it is a little "long in the tooth"

Raybo

Raybo said:
I'm very suprised that a lot of you are requesting Prime 95 for stability.

I for one think that it is a little "long in the tooth"

Raybo

I'm not sure what you're referring to...

but i dont trust prime95 one bit. That thing crashes no matter what. Every time i run the torture test it errors in less than 5 minutes. It errors at stock speed. It errors at underclocked speed. It errors at overclocked speed. I say screw it, and i run SETI@Home, 3DMark01, 3DMark03, and game for a few hours.

My current set up hasn't locked up, bsod'd, or anything for as long as i can remember and i am an avid gamer playing many games that tax my system greatly...

All while prime95 crashes before 5 minutes.

:rolleyes:

Chowdy said:

I'm not sure what you're referring to...

but i dont trust prime95 one bit. That thing crashes no matter what. Every time i run the torture test it errors in less than 5 minutes. It errors at stock speed. It errors at underclocked speed. It errors at overclocked speed. I say screw it, and i run SETI@Home, 3DMark01, 3DMark03, and game for a few hours.

My current set up hasn't locked up, bsod'd, or anything for as long as i can remember and i am an avid gamer playing many games that tax my system greatly...

All while prime95 crashes before 5 minutes.

:rolleyes:
Another dissatisfied Prime95 customer .. :D

On a more serious note, if it is giving you errors at default there is definitely a problem you need to look into...Make sure you didn't forget to relax your mem timings ect.

Last edited:
I don't understand why people still have problems with Prime95? I just set it to the first setting and it runs as long as I want to it to run. I always Prime95 test for 24 hours before declaring an OC stable, as I fold all the time and need my machine to be ROCK SOLID.
for memory, I would use memtest, for FSB overclock I would play UT2004 for a couple of hours its really stressing the system as a whole and will find problems relatively quickly.

PerlAddict said:
Well, we'll just have to see, but before pushing it anymore, darkjedi, get yourself a copy of Prime95 and start running the torture test. Run it for a while and keep an eye on your temperatures. If it's running and not giving you errors, and it's not going over 45C on load for now (you can run these chips higher, depending on how comfortable you feel, but 45C should be a very safe temperature to try and keep your max at for now), let Prime95 run for 12 to 24 hours. If you can make it that long without it giving any errors, then consider yourself 100% stable, and start pushing it some more.

Just keep a very close eye on your temperatures. Check your bios and see what the warning and shutoff temps for the CPU are, too. I've seen some other people around here setting them for 60C warning, 70C shutoff ... you might even do a 65C if you just want to be safe.

Hey PerlAddict,

Had to pump to 1.8vcore 200x12.5 to stay stable in prime95.. but now my -12v keeps going below the low limit according to my hw monitor.. does this mean anything ??

here's the shots

cpuz3.JPG

temps25180.JPG

thanks again

-tawheed

as far as I know, modern mobo's don't use the -12v line for anything so no one cares what the voltage is as it doesn't affect stability or anything. My old PSU used to report it as -15v or something and I never had a problem.

Back