• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram heatspreaders

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iBreaker

Registered
Do They REALLY work ?
- Can one get better freq or timings ?
- If the freq isn't better is the system more stable ?
- If the system is not mor stable would the stick life longer
- Or is it juste for the style

thanx

Only way they help is if they make PERFECT contact with every chip. If even one chip makes poor contact, that one will get hotter than the rest and ruin your overclock. Besides, these go on with thermal tape anyway. If someone wanted to test them out with some Ceramique or thermal epoxy, then that might be interesting...

cartmanea said:
Only way they help is if they make PERFECT contact with every chip. If even one chip makes poor contact, that one will get hotter than the rest and ruin your overclock. Besides, these go on with thermal tape anyway. If someone wanted to test them out with some Ceramique or thermal epoxy, then that might be interesting...

Someone already did and I believe some got on the contact and the entire stick fried or something like that :p Conducted electricity for some reason (AS5 was used).

I just received my Komusa Adata PC4200 2*512, the sinks came with them (but not on them), so I shouldn't worry about putting them on then huh?

Thank you, I was excited when I got mine and put them in right away without putting the heat sinks on them ;)

DMAN505

So why do manufactures still put them on. Mine came with them, I obviously didn't get them because of that. If they will perform better without them why use them.?

Usually so you cant figure out the chips and buy a generic brand for only 100$ rather than their 300$.

My friend whom is an engineer brought something up. They should help to protect against static electricity discharges. I don't know much about that, but he certainly does.

Yes, because the heatspreaders don't touch any components directly, so if you transfer some static electricity to the heatspreaders it won't get to the ram. Personally though, I've handled lots of computer components and never had any problems with static discharge, I just touch something metal before I do anything.

true its there in case some newb runs around in his socks then rubbs his ram just like a copper hs they dont come stock with copper cuz u could send a curent to the cpu and zap it (ur more likly to win the lotto)

but ya now that i think for ram (not vga ram) just get good air flow over them and thats as good as it can get (im making a duckt soon from the front intake to the ram

(im goign to sell my ram with hs to this guy that thinks you shuld cool every thing with hs and no fans !!! he has no cpu fan but the hs is massive runs at 45Cmax!!! i thought it would be more (all copper)

I put some tt copper heat spreders on my mem and I got 15mhz higher stable oc out of them. my mem would get really hot before and now it stay much cooler.

My BH-5 is cool to the touch running 225 fsb, 2-2-2-11 timings with 2.98v. No need for heatspreaders here!

Back