• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Agp Frequency Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kandiman23

Registered
I was just wondering, why do people lock their agp frequency to 66mhz? does this hamper game performance?

Also does overclocking your cpu shorten the lifespan of your vid card?

kandiman23 said:
I was just wondering, why do people lock their agp frequency to 66mhz? does this hamper game performance?

because it can cause instability or other problems with your PCI slot cards

kandiman23 said:
Also does overclocking your cpu shorten the lifespan of your vid card?

Nope not as far as i know

Locked AGP = Locked PCI = no chance of file corruption, as sound codecs, IDE controllers and network interfaces tend to reject higher PCI frequencies. The AGP clock is based off the PCI clock x2 so the two are inseperable.

OCing the CPU will not shorten the lifespan of the vid card directly, but the increased case temperature may have an effect on the vid card temperature, depending on your airflow.

L337 M33P said:
Locked AGP = Locked PCI = no chance of file corruption, as sound codecs, IDE controllers and network interfaces tend to reject higher PCI frequencies. The AGP clock is based off the PCI clock x2 so the two are inseperable.

OCing the CPU will not shorten the lifespan of the vid card directly, but the increased case temperature may have an effect on the vid card temperature, depending on your airflow.

Warning, warning, askterisk, askterisk!

Overclocking via FSB adjustment on motherboards without PCI locks could possibly result in the shortening of your motherboard device life expectancy as well as cause damage to the AGP devices. With a PCI lock, however, overclock away.

Another questions... does increasing the AGP frequency from 66 to say, 72 provide any sort of performance increase to 3D applications?

And is that sort of increase likely to cause corruption considering I am only running an AGP card and no PCI cards?

I'm running at default 66MHz, but I'm looking to squeeze some extra 3dMarks out of my new system :).

Cheers,
Clayton.

kandiman23 said:

does oc shorten the lifespan of ur mb?

depends if you voltmod it and if u keep your NB cool.

for the other question.......

if u have your Hard Drives on the IDE it can cause corruption because it runs of the same channel as the PCI slot cards

example

AGP 72mhz = PCI 36mhz = IDE 36mhz

Back