• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

beginner oc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
First, we need to know more.

GCPUID is a program that will tell us whether the CPU is a Tbred A, B or Thornton.

We need to know the brand and wattage of your PSU, along with the make and model of your motherboard and any what cooling you have.

Other essential tools are Prime95 and Motherboard monitor which test stability and find out temperatures respectively.

Also, do you have multiplier, FSB adjustment in the BIOS? What RAM speed you got.

Welcome to the forums!

With a bit more info (Like that described in the post above) we can help you out and get your computer nice and fast.

Full computer specs are useful.
A screen shot of GCPUID would be good too.

Do you fold?

amd athlon2200xp tm, abit kv7 m/b, ddr400, spire whisperrockiv cpu fan. 266mhz,133fsb, 4,2,1 13.5x cpu volt 1.6, agp volt 1.55, ddr volt 2.6, nb volt 2.52

Ok when you boot your computer you have the option of entering the BIOS. To do this you will have to press the "Delete" key.

The BOIS will load (Blue screen with white and yellow), and the first option is "Softmenu III Setup", press enter and you taken to a screen that will tell you what type of CPU you have and some options.

Change the CPU Operating Speed to "User Defined".

This will allow you to change the FSB Clock Speed (FSB) and the CPU Multiplyer (multi).

Here you can raise the FSB and multi to increase your CPUs 'speed'. Do this slowly and gradually, starting with the FSB.

have manged to get it to 1.96 ghz with no problems, by raising fsb to 142 and the multiplyer to 22.5. is there anything else i can do to it, thanks again,

mark3440 said:
have manged to get it to 1.96 ghz with no problems, by raising fsb to 142 and the multiplyer to 22.5. is there anything else i can do to it, thanks again,

22.5?!

Try for a higher FSB, as it will result in better preformance than a high multi, so if you have to drop the multi to get a high FSB thats cool.

u take the heatsink off and read the little black slip (stepping code) this is how for exmaple my says JIUHB DLT3C 0323RPMW

that 03 means it was made in "2003" and the 23 means it was "23rd week"

Steven4563 said:
u take the heatsink off and read the little black slip (stepping code) this is how for exmaple my says JIUHB DLT3C 0323RPMW

that 03 means it was made in "2003" and the 23 means it was "23rd week"

Whilst taking off the heatsink it would be best to apply Arctic Silver 5 (www.arcticsilver.com) and to make sure everything's in order in the case.

Something's wrong. If his FSB is 142 and his multi is 22.5 he should be getting 3195MHz. His CPU is multiplier locked.

Back