• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Diode Problems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMDdude

I have been playing arond for a few weeks with a mobile barton 2500+ and have been getting very high temp. from the diode and the socket and was curious if it was possible that there may be a problem with the thermal diode. I have underclocked the chip as low as 1200mhz and get a reading of almost 60C from the diode. When I clock up 2100mhz the temp goes to 69C. Both readings are using MBM at idle. As you would guess, under load the temp really gets hot.

I am using a barton CPU cooler and the copper is quite cool to the touch, also I have not had any stability problems when running very demanding games such as FarCry!

One other thing to note: MOBO is ASUS A7N8X-X and when I set the voltage in BIOS and look at the voltage to the CPU when in windows with ASUS probe it always reports 1.65V to the CPU regardles of how low I set the voltage in BIOS? Does this sound like a faulty MOBO?

Welcome to the forum!!

sounds like you have bad hardware monitor. Is there any different when you use ASUS probe vs MBM in temp,vcore etc..

It could be a faulty mobo. How does the bios report the voltage temp etc... Lowest vcore on my asus mobo is 1.6V what can you set it to?

one way to find out is swap the mobo....

I have a pally here running at 55C or higher at any voltage I set it to. I ran it with 2.1V in the past and it pooffed at me one time. After that event, I could never OC it higher due to high temp and it is truly hot to touch. Basicly, the leakage is too high from overvolt and I could never recover. Your case is different it seems like.

i agree with overdoze, try mbm and see what readings it give you, could be a bad sensor chip but it very well could be a bad board...

The temp. that I posted was from MBM. When I use the latest version of ASUS Probe I was getting a temp. that was consistant with the socket temp. from MBM so I assumed that ASUS Probe does not get the temp. from the diode. The temp. reported from the BIOS is in line with the diode temp. displayed by MBM.

As I type this note ASUS Probe is reporting 43C and MBM is reporting 70 diode and 43 Socket.

From what you have indicated if I am able to touch the copper and it is only warm I most likely have a bad diode and really have nothing to worry about. Am I reading your reply correctly..

And thank you for the feedback.

You could try getting a Hardwired temp probe, from radio shack or some computer website. You can use thermal tape to tape it under your proccessor or beside (NOT ON TOP) of the diode.

2nd opinion here:

If the heatsink is cool to touch, then it sounds like it isn't contacting the cpu properly. Generally speaking, most heatsinks should always be warm indicating that they are successfully drawing the heat out of the cpu.

You are using thermal paste on your heatsink where it touches the cpu right?

Don't mean to be patronising if you are, this is just my first thought on your problem.

try reseating your heatsink, a stock heatsink can't keep the chip cool enough for it to be cold to the touch, there is probably bad contact between cooler and chip

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

Please be careful, if your socket is reading that, it is very possible that the CPU internal diode is reading something MUCH higher. Please click the first link in my sig for more details.

Also, I would re-seat the heatsink, use some good thermal compound such as Arctic Silver Ceramique, Arctic Silver 5, or OCZ Ultra 5+. Remember, only apply it to the core of your CPU, apply a thin layer, and make sure there is not anything inbetween the HSF and the CPU core. This is kinda gross.....but when I was a new member here at OCforums, I saw someone who had picked their nose and *cough* something kinda fell on the core when they were putting the heatsink on.

Also lap your heatsink. PM or AIM me for more details. I can sometimes be found in irc.zirc.org #octeams and #geeksonline.

Good Luck!
-0cer
:cool:

Last edited:
Back