• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TEC and Temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeViL_909

Ok guys, I am bout to take a dive into using a TEC, but I want to know how much they help. I do not have the cash to throw down on a Mach 2 or any of that kind of stuff. I was wondering how low a tec can take temps. My Radiator/pump can handle high temps. Any pointers or sugetions on which block to buy? Will I be able to clock higer than with reg water cooling?

the swiftech designs are good. Maze 4-1s are nice, read my sig for temp relativeness. don't forget to insulate. There are a lot of good articles posted on the web, do a search for TEC cpu socket etc.

I am a bigh OCer, do you think that it was a good investment? I am about to sell my AMD 3000 and to a friend and get a new 64 chip. Could get some good scores with it.

depends what sorta temps you want
if you just want to keep things sorta cool tec ok
but will never really get cold (like below 2 deg unless you use a water chiller as well)
but the tec will help to reduce the temps so you can use a higher vcore, but wont really get much more of an oc to you current setup.

ie with ir with out the tec i still need 1.925
to get 11x217
but with the 226tec i can use vcores at 2.1 and stay below 40deg
on ho2 1.95v goes over 50deg and this isnt safe

Last edited:
It's 77F in my room, my processor is 55F and it would probably be 50 if I wasn't compressing some files. So now, It doesn't just go a few degrees below ambient. It all depends on how powerful of TEC you have, how much power you give it, and if you have enough radiator size adn CFM to remove the heat the TEC creates.

When I switched from using 2x80w pelts to 1x226w, I was able to push my processor 100mhz faster using.025 more vcore, and the temps were still lower. If I set it to what it was 100mhz ago, I get 1-2C idle temps.

As processor speed goes up, temperature needs to be lower, and voltage needs to be higher. That's the basic reality.

So anyways, I wouldn't go 64bit yet because it's not really useful, its costly, and you'll want socket 939 later anyways. I think you should stick with what you got, get your TEC setup which is the last cooler you'll ever need if you get a 226w tec. the trend of cpu development is turning to make them more energy efficient and thus mobile, not so much faster.

I personally like danger den things over Swiftech just because they use all coppper designs and I never really trusted the quick connect plugs.

So a Maze4-1 could be your answer.

But for ease of installation, the latest MCW5k what not from swiftech. Don't forget to insulate.

Back