• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xp-tmc does this really work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
See the first sticky? This is just a fancier way of doing that trick

See my last response in that thread. The device and any other method you do works.

Its just that new CPUs use 5 bit multiplier selection, old ones use 4 bit. Old motherboard BIOSes dont know how to do this or adjust the fifth bit, so by putting a wire you force that bit to be on, and it remaps.

When I boot on my Epox 8KTA3+ PRO despite the fact that the motherboard BIOS is old and doesn't know about my Barton XP-M, when I don't do the wire trick

Award BIOS shows
FSB:100MHz
Multiplier: 9.5x

On boot the chip is identified as
9.5x100FSB=950MHz

Post wire trick

Award BIOS shows
FSB:100MHz
Multiplier: 9.5x

On boot the chip is identified as
18x100FSB=1800MHz

http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/xptmc/xptmc.htm is the official site of it btw.

The yello table in :
http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/xptmc/setup.htm

Has the remaps if you look closely. 9.5x=18x, and so on. All you have to do is look at this as you set BIOS multiplier, and it reflects accurately.

As for the wire I used, I have DOZENS of EIDE cables from everything I buy, so I took an old one, cut one of the connectors and took a strand of copper.

but will that let me change my multi. if my bios does not have a setting to change the multis to begin w/?

The simple wire trick won't but the XP-TMC will. But if you plan to spend $30 on a XP-TMC just so you know, I got my parents a brand new MSI K7T Turbo for $40 on eBay. Your call.

There are complex wire tricks where you set 4-5 wires to set frequencies, I lost the webpage but thats the source of this wire trick, and I guess most people feel safer just throwing $30 to solve it.

TheNewbie said:
but will that let me change my multi. if my bios does not have a setting to change the multis to begin w/?

This is true, but it assumes that your CPU is already frequency multiplier unlocked.

Stupid me, it's a Duron. Hack away.

Here's the pinmod guide for the AthlonXP. It'll be a crap shoot for the Duron, I do not know if they are socket-equivalent in terms of VID/FID select pins.

i donno either thanks for the help tho strong Bad ur my hero hehe:D oh yeah by the by do u know where i could find the pin settings for an 2400xp for the multis?

Last edited:
thanks again, also do you know how high of fsb I can get on my gigabyte 7vm400m? (rough estimate) Mushkin256x2 level2 222
and the rest of the junk in my sig but w/ an 2400 xp.

Back