• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chiller + Peltier?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreammmatt

Hi all! I'm building a chiller, and was wondering how big of an improvement I could expect if i were to add a 226W Peltier beneath the CPU waterblock. This has prolly been posted somewhere before, but after a brief search, all i found was talk of 'what a beast' peltier+chiller would be; not necessarily that descriptive, lol...

also, something that just came to mind: what about powering that? if i didnt want to spring for a meanwell peltier psu, when it comes to general psu's, what wattage, generally, would be a goodie for a 226w pelt?

any experience, knowledge, predictions, any and all of that, is welcome!

Thanx,
Dreammmatt

okee dokee, here we go

I got about 7C improvement with my rads in the window and 25F air blowing through them, (air was still cold) which i imagine would do the same as your chiller. but, as in my sig, with the pelt (226w, regular 15.8v @12volt with independent PSU) I get the 10C low, and 22C max. A pelt on your cpu will cool better than just the water chiller, both together doesn't give too much improvement but makes it more hot weather proof. As in now it is 55F outside, but i'm still at 10c where as my max temp would be closer to 27C.

a 226@12v still takes around 20 amps, necessitating either an inde psu, or a pc psu with a high 12v line with nothign else taking the 12v and maybe a fan or too running on the 5v(so you don't hurt the psu). Anyways, moral of the story, pelt cooling your cpu give better performance than water chilling. Water chilling is less risky and requires less modding(insulating) of the board, wb, etc. Hope this helps, PM me with any Qs.

-Nic

edit, i'm running 2.075 Vols through my cpu, hows that for handling wattage output!

Back