• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2gb the new standard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

microfire

Time has gone on and 2gb maybe needed now.
Playing UT2004 it used an entire 1gb, there is only about 35mb leaft over. Using 1gb caused glitches and slow downs as the harddrive began to cache.
I put in all of my 2gb of CH-5 in the main rig and it used about 1.1gb, no slow downs and alot smoother.
My memory does not overclock to well in 1:1 mode with 2gb. Anyhow I use 5:4 mode most of the time even with 1gb installed since ive been reading bad things about high voltage harming CH-5.
How is the new games like Doom3 and halflife going to affect memory usage, will they also be needing more than 1gb?

i dont think so i still only use 512meg and its plenty for most things i do and the games i play but the newer will run better with 1gb or more but its not going to become standard just yet

I did something stupid. I noticed memory prices going up and read that CH-5 has just gone out of production. I recently brought a second matching 512mb CH-5 stick, an addition to the stick I already had for awhile. I put it in my second rig for a total of 1gb.
I got it just in case I need 2gb in the near future for my main rig, so to keep it all CH-5.
Even though UT2004 is only just pushing over 1gb, detail fully maxed out, I dont think it a good idea to shift all the ram to my main rig just yet. That would mean I will have nothing leaft in the second rig and be buying even more memory, which would be crazy.
In the mean time what can I use the 1gb for in the second rig. It only has an old GF2 card in it, so its not really a gaming rig. Any programs that would use all of the 1gb of ram in my second rig to amuse me with?

oh I forgot to say I have seen Corsair 2gb twinX kits listed lately. 2x1gb modules.

Last edited:
Any game will expand to fit all of your available memory. Even if it is not needed.

If you need something to be doing on that second rig you could be Folding ;)

I think there is a contest right now for new folders including a mobo and cpu!

Come browse our Forum :)

Colin McRae rally 04,

UT2004,

BF'Nam,

FarCry,

These games are really way too much for 512Mb to handle.
The worst part of this is that, if i want to continue gaming, i have to leave Win9x for WinXP in order to use that much RAM.

I'm not happy bout this.

Yeas I have been having problems with UT04, I have everything truned all the way down and it still stuters sometimes. How am I supposed to justify another $170 dollars?

jackson vile said:
Yeas I have been having problems with UT04, I have everything truned all the way down and it still stuters sometimes. How am I supposed to justify another $170 dollars?

You might have to buy some more ram anyway. If your ram is CH-5: Rumor has it that CH-5 ram is dieing fast at 3.4v Your very close to that at 3.3v
Not sure if that is ture or not, I would like to think not so I can go back to using 1:1 with 3.25v.
I would put my money on it being ture. The CH-5 chips are made of a smaller process than ram like the BH-5. Smaller process usually means less voltage tolarance.

Last edited:
well since I have dual monitor I can have my task manger open in 1 window and play a game on the other window.

cs takes 90MB or ram

Farcry used in high detail or mdeium details at different resolution between 490MB or ram and 600Mb or ram.. not pushing to 1GB but hey who does anyone make 300MB memor sticks? no

1GB or ram is still fine... show me a game which uses over 1GB or ram in task manager...
I dont think ut2k4 uses over 1GB or ram...

UT2004 uses all of the 1gb, checked with task manager. I use 1024x768 with everything fully maxed out, AAx4 and AFx8q

I think there's a little confusion on ram usage...

I can't speak for UT2K4, but FarCry with all details at very high or higher will result in approximately 800-900mb of total memory utilization. If you don't believe me, flip your pagefile to 128mb on your 1gb memory machine, kill EVERY process that you can (spoolsv, atievxx, even explorer) and run FarCry for a few minutes on the later levels (river is a good example). If you go back out to the desktop, your virtual memory manager will be popping an error that it had to resize your pagefile to make room.

When in task manager, you must enable two additional settings in order to see the full memory load of an app in the process pane: VM size and Paged Pool. Add the three columns together (Mem Usage, VM size, Paged pool) and you get the full data load of that process on your machine.

I cannot say for sure, but I wouldn't think UT2K4 would take up THAT much memory unless you're in single player with a good number of bots. Resolution and AA/AF levels will not play a part in the total memory requirement of the app itself, although it could theoretically become kernel space if it needs AGP texturing room.

Back