• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory amount and affect on overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

I want to get some PC3200 bh-5 o5 bh-6 memory off ebay, but I don't have enough money to get a gig yet. Would having 2 256mb sticks or one 512 affect my overclocking negatively?

If you are asking, not having a gig of ram with hinder your overclock then, no it wont, infact having a gig of ram could give you less of an overclock. :). If you are 'only' getting 512mb ram then get to sticks of 256 so you have dual channel :)

DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra B
...lol.. d00d what on earth are you doing!?!?!?!

BH5 is good in all (I have some) but it aint that good.

Your mobo isnt a BH type canadate (to its full extent). Yes you have 3.2v in all.... but is it *REALLY* worth $350-400 for it??

If you get PC4k into the 250-255mhz range then it will be every bit as good as BH5 at similar speeds.

Go and get some cheap Adata or OCz PC4000+ and OC the hell out of it.

If you had an NF7 I would say...yes get the BH5....but an DFI?? lol... do ur mobo and your pocket book a favor... buy the PC4k.

Ur mobo *should* have no trouble @ 270

xfx Geforce FX5200
or better yet.... get rid of this ^^. You really arent CPU limited at this point

sentential dude you rock. I had no clue. Everyone sigs that I had seen with my board had pc3200 memory, I guess I just assumed I needed BH5. with my pc2700 I can't do any more than 178. Yeah I know the video card stinks. I'm building a new rig, based around the DFI board. So basically you are saying cheap 3200 will do fine with my borad. Thanks again, cheap ram is very friendly to a college student.

No way, not a chance. I have 2 DFI LP-B mobos and the highest one has gotten to is 237MHz. The record for fastest LP-B is 270MHz...thats not a average.

Get some BH5 and have fun, that will be able to max out at the same time as the mobo does. All of the sets of BH5 I have used have been able to break 240MHz.

well I think I will look and see what people are gettin on pc4000. Because cheaper at a slight performance decrease is okay to me
I can only get 178 on my pc2700, so anything will be an upgrade

The lan party b's are great boards, provided you flash the bios. The official bioses from DFI are absolute garbage. I'm currently using the 1/21 beta bios http://www.dfi-street.com/bios.html . I would also go with some pc 4k memory as it does just a s good as almost all bh-5. The real world difference between 2-2-2-11 and 2.5-3-3-11 is very small. But the difference between 200 bucks and 400 bucks is very great. I'm runing pc 3200 KVR w/ hynix bt-d43 chips 2*256 @ 2.5-3-3-11 @ 255 w 2.8v. I can't get my bh-5 to run that high anyways so based on mem bandwidth the cheap *** pc 3200 stuff i got for 70 bucks does better than my $$ bh-5.

Back