• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Artic Silver 5 n' Mach

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BioTuned

i was just wondering if we can use artic silver 5 with mach units....i've read on the artic silver 5 website that artic silver can resist up to -40c.....what do you guys think....

you should be ok with the amount of voltage heat your cpu will be giving off with your desired speeds. I estimate around a -20C temp for you. If it goes below that 40 though, you're in trouble and will have to apply everything.

I wasn't paying attention and left my r404a mach 1 on with as3, and it was sitting at -50c for about 8 hours. I was removing the head anyway, and I found my as5 seemed fine. My cpu may never have gotten that cold, but the unit was on for quite a while.

only thing i dont really like about the test is that there was only 1 mount and since all the paste get to 1°C away from each other, it might well be due to mounting. Tho I understand it might have been time consuming to make more than one mount :T

ocz ultra is now the same as as5, but I don't know if it was when that article was written.

Like Prandtl said only 1 mount is kind of stupid. 1c difference could easily be made in the mount, but for all those tim's it would be one hell of a pain to do several mounts...but atleast 2 would be much better.

Also, doesn't it take 3 days for AS3 and AS5 to "set"? So they'll probably drop 1C or 2 at least...

I am pretty sure Chilly1 and pcIce use as5, and they have been down below -100c for long periods of time without any problems, so I realy don't see it being an issue. Chilly1 is trying to hit -150c with a 4 stage cascade, and then he is going to try for -200c, so we will see what happens to his TIM at those temps.

Back