• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTF!!Artifacts when oc'ing cpu??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaWiper

Image Compare Man
Flashed to bios 4.0 just now and I tried to set fsb to 200 with 10x multi. Didn't expect windows to boot as 190 fsb is the highest i've gotten before with 11x multi.
Did a mem bench in sisoft..no lockups.
Did the prime benchmark to see if there was a small hope. In the middle of the test the screen went black for 2 sec, but the benchmark had continued uninterrupted.
Did 3dmark2001... Extreme amounts of artifacts!
I hit the escape and went back to my normal settings.
What is going on? What happened?

Oh, and my temps where 29/30 at the chipset and 47 for the cpu.

My only theory is that I've hit the wall with my current psu(chieftec360W)...

Do MSI boards increase everything as the fsb is increased. Does your agp clock change as you change the fsb? Lock it down if you can if it is moving. Other than that, who knows. I've never heard of that before. I'm also assuming that you increased your Vcore and gpu voltage a little to see if it helps. If not, you could up it.

I don't think that it's your PSU, b/c the voltage change from a oc like that shouldn't be that much. I have a 350W and look how high my P4 goes, I haven't had any problems with power or artifacts. I would guess that you've been ocing your computer without changing the ratio of your agp/pci so as you increase the FSB the AGP/PCI clock is increasing as well. See if you can get it back down to around 66.66/33.33 w/o changing your FSB at all. My MSI is able to reduce the ratio even with my FSB overclocked so you should check that out.

agp is locked at 66 as default. All nforce cards has agp/pci lock.

Kingston KVR333
Well since you should have ram set to 1:1 with CPU then your overclocking your ram quite a bit. You will get more performance running 1:1 both at 166 than CPU at 200 and ram at 166.

I'm always running ram/cpu in sync... Meaning, my 200 fsb try was infact also a 200 ddr try. I also used quite relaxed timings. I believe it was something like 3-4-4-9.
I know the kvr isn't the greatest of mem, but several people in here has stated 200 ddr as no problem.

that is your problem, Your OCing your ram to hard. Even with relaxed timings your ram cant handle that speed. My suggestion is buy new ram or dont overclock your ram as hard.

I know that the ram is bottlnecking everything, but I still wonder why I get artifacts in 3dmark01. If my ram is oc'ed too much the machine should crash/lock...

If my ram is oc'ed too much the machine should crash/lock...
Not always, Try setting ram not in sync like FSB 200 and ram 166 and see if you get artifacts if you do its not due to OCing ram if you dont then it is.

Thanx! Didn't think of that one...
I will try this later tonight...

Ok, tried it. 200(x10) fsb 166 ram. It worked without a flaw. Then I tried 200/200 again with 11-4-4-3 timings. No artifacts this time, but 3dmark(01) was choppy and had some sort of skipping. Looks like my ram can't handle 200fsb, right?

Looks to be that way, My suggestion is leave ram and FSB 1:1 at 166FSB untill you get new ram, you will get more performance in sync than out.

EDIT:
Oh for a list of good Mem for this board go Here

Back