• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Double Sided memory list??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTX_SlotCar

Registered
Is there a current list somewhere thats says which memory is Double Sided and which is Single Sided?

Since I've got an 865 motherboard (abit ai7), I'd like to run DS memory. I thought that most Geil memory was DS (had good luck with it in the past) and was about to order some PC4400 Ultra Platinum (2x256). Then someone at Geil told me all their 256mb sticks were SS and all their 512mb sticks were DS.
Now I'm looking into OCZ PC 4200 (2x256).

Gary

Could you explain to me the difference between single-sided memory and double-sided memory.

I myself have 2x256mb Single-Sided Hyperram Adata PC4200, I'm getting nasty numbers in Sandra - and incredible OCs.

Before I had 2x512mb Double-Sided Hyperam Adata PC4200 and I couldnt even boot past 265fsb with the same settings as my new 2x256 sticks, and my Sandra was incredibly low and my efficiency was like 50%.... seems like the single-sided sticks are better OCers, my efficiency with these new 2x256mb sticks (single-sided) is usually 75%

;)

I belive the general rule is that 512M sticks are DS and 256M sticks are single sided. I have only used one 128MB DDR stick and it has been double sided.

Why did I abbreviate once, but not the other times? makes no sense.

Thanks, gents. Does that mean nobody makes DS (or SS two bank) DDR? My Abit AI7 (like all 865/875 chipsets) is supposed to run faster with DS memory.

Sean, are 256mb sticks of OCZ SS so you can use 4 sticks in a 4 bank motherboard? Aren't the chips in a single bank (SS) dimm double the density of those used in a DS dimm and therefore more expensive to make?

tekOC, some dimms are double sided (have memory chips on both sides of the pc board) which means they are 2-bank. Single sided dimms are usually single bank. Your motherboard will only accept so many banks of memory, despite the number of slots it has. So, for example, if your motherboard only accepts 4 banks and you have a 512mb DS dimm and 2 256mb SS dimms, you wouldn't be able to use the last slot (if you had one). At least that's how I understand it.
I just returned some Hyperam (Adata) PC 4200 (2x256) because it wouldn't run past 263 (x2) even though it's rated at DDR533. Komusa said they tested it and it ran fine for them, but offered me a refund without charging their usual 15% restocking fee. Nice of them. My P4 2.4C runs fine well past 270 mHz, so I don't know why the memory wouldn't work well for me.

I suppose junky DS dimms wouldn't run any faster than good SS dimms anyway, but I'd still like to find 256mb in DS.

Gary

Sean

An anandtech article says the 256mb PC3700 is DS. Are they correct? It's the memory they used in their DS vs SS tests (which showed a 12 to 13% increase in unbuffered memory bandwidth using DS memory).

Also, is the 256mb PC4000EL DS or SS?

Gary

Back