• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Desktop Bartons suck up vcore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TehGoober

So I'm running perfectly stable at 222x11 (2442MHz) but that's with the vCore at 2.1 (actual.) I lowered it down to 1.8 just to see if that would fly and, as I had assumed, BSOD. I don't know what the lowest vCore is that this will run stable at as I decided to go do other things after the BSOD, since I didn't feel like clearing the CMOS. (Really need to get some thumb screws on that case...) Anyway, even at 2.1 (actual) vCore, trying to run 222x11.5, prime95 will freeze up the computer. Running 3dMark01 will cause the computer to reboot. I'm wondering if I shouldn't just give it even more vCore. MBM5 reports me at under 40C load. I don't remember the exact number but it's something like 39-40 degrees. (The computer is down in a very cold garage.)

So, what do you think? Should I increase the vCore? The temperature seems to be fine but I know many people really do *not* think it's a good idea to even have it at 2.1 on air. (SP-97 and Vantec Tornado.) The desktop version seems to be really power hungry!

Also, incase it matters, memory is Komusa PC3700 running with 2.9 vDimm and @ 11-4-4-3 if I recall correctly. 400w Sparkle PSU.

good god your going to kill it.

well... maby not... but... 2.1... sweet jesus, I don't like going above 1.85, and i'm water cooled....

As for the 40 degree temp... yea...... no chance in hell that is right, not even if it is in a freezer. At those speeds and voltages your cpu puts out in the range of 140 Watts.... which is insane by the way...and with air cooling, even with cold air, I really don't think it could be that low. You might want to investigate the temperature a little more.

It sounds to my like you have hit the wall, and at that speed you did pretty good too. As you increase the speed and voltage, you start to get a decreasing gains situation, where you have to pump in more and more voltage for less extra speed. You might want to reconsider weather you like buying new presessors or if you would rather just drop 100 mhz and a bunch of Vcore....

Back