• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chiller option

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nandro

Disabled
I have a lytron MCS http://www.lytron.com/standard/cs_modular.htm that I picked up on ebay for $200. It seems to be a very effective WC setup, however it is very loud. I mean not unbearable, but as loud as a window air conditioner. I will be selling it and replacing it with something quieter and hopefully cooler. They have a chiller http://www.lytron.com/standard/cs_thermocube.htm I was wondering if this looks like it would work, seeing how its commercial grade. It says its whisper quiet. Opinions?

It should work but I can't find a BTU rating.

There are a number of units around. You might check the aquarium folks, they seem to have a reasonable number of units available, look here for example. The 1/5 hp unit is rated at 1810BTUs (gross overkill) but it is pretty expensive. There're cheaper units also that would probably do the trick. You need to investigate flow rates also, I've not looked into it. While the link is to MarineDepot there are probably a large number of others.

One reason I was looking at the lytron is that having the MCS version I know it moves alot of water, and fast. It has a pretty powerfull pump. Maybe I'll email them and ask, however I bought it for $200 and the guy said it cost him almost $1000.

You can download a price list from their web site. As I remember the run of the mill version was pretty darn expensive and options (upgrades to pumps etc.) might push it to $1000. Damn expensive for a water cooling setup!

You could buy an Iwaki pump, Cascade water block, and other top of the line parts with $1000 and still have enough for other parts too. :D

you could get a whole phase change system that would bring your temps down to -35C for only 500$.

craig has an excellent point and one that has prevented my from going the chiller route in the past. About the only reason is that I haven't gone the phase change path is I swap CPU and mobos frequently and I assume with phase change that this kinda swap is more difficult. I don't know for sure, just assume that the condensation insulation etc. is a pain to change out. Thus the chiller would appear a good choice for stable cooling temperature (less dependent on summer room temps) than a typical water cooling system with a rad. Dollar wise I have a hard time justifying a chiller unless maybe I build it from surplus parts. :)

For $200 the lytron was worth getting. Unfortunatly its not practical for everyday use because of its sound. It is however probably good enough to cool multiple rig's. I've put it up in the for sale section.

For that kind of money you could get a new prommy, or a used r507/baker modded mk1.

You could buy an $80 5200 btu ac unit from home depot and turn it into a chiller pretty easily that will get a methanol/h20 mix down to about -30c.

Back